Bar Size for Displacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The longer the bar, the further it goes into the sod behind the log if you are not extremely careful.

View attachment 991880

Mark
You gotta know where that tip is at all times! This is extremely crucial when facing up and making back cuts in big timber or even bucking big timber! But of course as I see in the picture. That isn't anything close to big! 😂

It’s logical to understand that slapping an inappropriately large bar on a given head is not a good idea. However, I’d like to understand why. Let’s say I have a bunch of 16” logs. If I use an 18” bar or a 24” bar will the saw behave much different? Is overloading the saw with too much bar because of the parasitic loss of slinging more mass of chain with more friction to the bar, or is it because with 6” more bar I might sink it into 6” larger wood? Of course I realize it’s some of both, but is it a little bit of parasitic loss and a lot of the tendency to cut bigger wood than the head can handle.

Another way, let’s say I want to run a 24” bar on a 55cc saw so I don’t have to bend down as much. I’m still not going to cut big wood with it. Will my saw be a dog anyhow?

Rookie question but I’m fairly rookie so not coming here with a lot of ego. Just want to learn from others experience while I gain more of my own.
In my humble opinion. You should stick with the manufacturers recommend bar length for your model of power head. Until you get very familiar and comfortable with your saw. If your not already.

In my humble opinion. You should stick with the manufacturers recommend bar length for your model of power head. Until you get very familiar and comfortable with your saw. If your not already.
Kinda like asking for kick back issues too.... 12" tree 24" bar so you don't have to bend over...... many way to get a log in the air off the ground, or even roll it around if need be.

Back