barber chain leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanbaker

Happy curmudgeon, mostly
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a quaking aspen to take down. It's about 35 degree from horizontal, 40 feet "tall" and 15" in diameter. It roots are in the woods the rest hangs over the yard. I have ideas on how to approach it. Anyone been in this situation and had safe success?

I have a quaking aspen to take down. It's about 35 degree from horizontal, 40 feet "tall" and 15" in diameter. It roots are in the woods the rest hangs over the yard. I have ideas on how to approach it. Anyone been in this situation and had safe success?
Yup. Not that hard to do, but you'd better know how to do it right or it might get interesting...need pictures....

if you are worried about a barber chair it sounds like at least you want the tree to fall the direction that it's leaning.

have you ever used a bore or plunge cut to fell trees? that method should reduce the possibility for a barber chair. Look up the plunge or bore cut. I recently took a chainsaw certification course with the forest service and their head sawyer was a big proponent of using this method for felling trees. He said that you have so much more control over the tree because you don't cut the holding wood until you are all ready and already have your wedges pounded in (if needed). I've used it a few times and It does work good.

if you are worried about a barber chair it sounds like at least you want the tree to fall the direction that it's leaning.

have you ever used a bore or plunge cut to fell trees? that method should reduce the possibility for a barber chair. Look up the plunge or bore cut. I recently took a chainsaw certification course with the forest service and their head sawyer was a big proponent of using this method for felling trees. He said that you have so much more control over the tree because you don't cut the holding wood until you are all ready and already have your wedges pounded in (if needed). I've used it a few times and It does work good.
If it's truly at 35 degrees, it's going to take a little more than just a bore cut to be safe. Really need some pics for good advice on this one.

If you don’t do a bore cut be sure to get it on video. Kidding aside, I’ve only done 3 that far “gone”. One was a box elder and I used a lift and took it in pieces because I cared about what it might fall on. The second was a box elder that I didn’t care about what it fell on, but had the lift available and so took it in pieces and the third an ash. That third one, the bore cut and small knotch and 10%hinge worked perfectly for me. The ash was dying not dead and dry.

I followed the advice of the jolly logger and bearcreek. But there is always a bit of "art work" involved. How big of a face cut, how thick of a hinge, how much tigger wood to leave, which side to leave the tigger wood after borecut and cleaning out. Anyway not for the inexperienced. It was a bit anal scphincter tighten (because it was the first time attemting such a tree) but it work just as the jolley logger and bearcreek advised. Never saw a tree hit the ground so fast. Also a shout out to this site - I have yet to get bad advise. If I was not competent with bore cutting, it may not be as successful - need to know and acknowledge your own technical limits and not try to exceed them, or if your not dead, you will posting pictures of your cuts and broken bones,

Back