Bark box performance on Stihl MS362 M tronic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger-692

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Does anybody here have experience with the WCS bark box on a Stihl MS362 m tronic? If so did it actually help the performance of the saw or just make it louder? Debating whether to add one of these or not. I know they’re supposed to add 6-10% more power but would like to ground truth with real world experience before I pull the trigger. Thanks!

Edit: if it matters Im alternating cutting elevations between 4000 and 9000 feet

I can’t speak to the 362, but I put one on my 462 and seat-o-pants meter says it rips through scrap 2x4 faster than ever. I haven’t actually used it to cut anything bigger than that.

Some of the Dyno results on another saw has shown that the bark box actually reduced hp from a factory dual port . There's also a" Strait shot" muffler cover that is similar in design but doesn't show a hp loss on a dyno.
There's actually a very good comparison video on YouTube that I watched awhile ago.

Jason Egan sent out his Egan Straight Shot mufflers and had someone dyno them vs stock covers and they showed improvements...in some instances very dramatic increases in power

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yep hp goes up.
But it’s not nearly as friendly on the dogs afterward
Got a 460 and 660 used by customers who run the Egan, dogs take the same or less beating than a factory dual port. At 1 year or so im not seeing any issues, they loud as hell though. He had a Bark Box on the 460 that the baffle fell off a few hours in, heard about that happening a lot on the Bark Box.

Got a 460 and 660 used by customers who run the Egan, dogs take the same or less beating than a factory dual port. At 1 year or so im not seeing any issues, they loud as hell though. He had a Bark Box on the 460 that the baffle fell off a few hours in, heard about that happening a lot on the Bark Box.

I’ve heard of the cover falling off of the bark box. Egan’s will last because they’re so heavy duty, as long as a log doesn’t roll on it and take the cylinder with it, because that muffler cover isn’t going to bend.
I have quite a bit of time on a ported 440/460 hybrid. Jason sent me one of his covers to try on it and I definitely couldn’t dog in as hard noodling as what I could before.
I’ve never been a fan of big holes in the front cover, anyway. But that’s just one man’s opinion. Doesn’t mean someone else won’t love it.

I’ve heard of the cover falling off of the bark box. Egan’s will last because they’re so heavy duty, as long as a log doesn’t roll on it and take the cylinder with it, because that muffler cover isn’t going to bend.
I have quite a bit of time on a ported 440/460 hybrid. Jason sent me one of his covers to try on it and I definitely couldn’t dog in as hard noodling as what I could before.
i’ve never been a big fan of big holes in the front cover, anyway. But that’s just one man’s opinion. Doesn’t mean someone else won’t love it.
Did you compensate on the tune? I put the one on the 660 and i had to add in quite a bit more fuel up top to get it right, found it easier to tune in the cut, like the cover gave me more effective fuel control with tuning.

My only complaint with the straight shot is the upper holes could be hit with and end mill to thin up that area..stock short screws barely grabbed a full thread

Did you compensate on the tune? I put the one on the 660 and i had to add in quite a bit more fuel up top to get it right, found it easier to tune in the cut, like the cover gave me more effective fuel control with tuning.

My only complaint with the straight shot is the upper holes could be hit with and end mill to thin up that area..stock short screws barely grabbed a full thread

Yeah I tuned it so it was still 4 stroking out of the cut.

Muffler mods always make it easier to tune because you can hear what it’s doing. There’s no doubt that smaller exhaust holes keep fuel in the motor a little bit longer. Sometimes it’s beneficial and sometimes it’s not, just depends on the task at hand.

Some of the Dyno results on another saw has shown that the bark box actually reduced hp from a factory dual port . There's also a" Strait shot" muffler cover that is similar in design but doesn't show a hp loss on a dyno.
There's actually a very good comparison video on YouTube that I watched awhile ago.
Dyno results are only as good as the operator.
I've seen several that showed the bark box did increase hp and the straight shot more so.

Compared to the Straight Shot, the Barf Box is a joke. Many just fall apart. Jason's stuff is made of stainless steel and will outlive the saw. It is very loud, but that is irrelevant, because if you cut without ear protection, you are a fool. The SS is dyno-proven to give an increase in power. It is a muffler mod on steroids. I mod my own mufflers, but decided to put the SS on my 400. Holy crap that thing cuts and the throttle response is amazing. It rocks a 25-inch bar, just as well as the 20-inch.

Anything that you do to a 362 is better than nothing. Even with a muffler mod, mine(a standard carb) is a pig, compared to the 400.

I believe Redbull and Treemonkey came to the same conclusion.
Although I am baffled as to why a front outlet would make any difference vs. a side outlet.
I imagine that it has to do to with sonic wave bounce, if you have a big enough hole in the front of the muffler your not stuffing the unbrunt charge back.

Latest posts

Back