Barn beams axe hewed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt4lumber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_20180625_100953266.jpg these 6 barn beams are from my grandfather's Barn built-in the 1830s
That im was lucky enough to get while driving by it being fixed up one day, and had to stop and ask( b/c closed mouths never get fed) I asked if I could have a few boards and the owner agreed, and said if I could mill some lumber from these beams I could keep some of it ( of course I couldn't load them fast enough!)

So I have my Stihl 660 that I bought and had ported, and recently bought a pmx milling bar/ chain setup and finally unloaded these beams from my trailer in my yard on a slope.

Now I need to remove nails( hopefully all of them) and start the unvailing of species( more pics to come!) probably many chains sharpenings later... But I was told these were Chestnut/ and oak and some Walnut.

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_100755360_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180625_100755360_HDR.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 30
I'll go against the grain here :p

Axe hewn beams from the 1830's ?
Don't mill them mang! Keep them as they are and create a use for them.
Lumber is easy to come by. Once you mill those babies the 1830 look is gone!

Some of my clients would pay stupid amounts of money to have something built from those as they are.

Well, the owner of the barnnwants some milled

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I'd hang onto the hewn sides, since that is where the value is. Decorators often have stupid amounts of money for "The Look" and atmosphere. I picture bar in modern building with the look of being there since the civil war, for example. Two or more bidders who " have to have":innocent: since they are not being made that aged anymore. I've got some broad axes that a man younger than me could make look a likes.by using the way they had been. Getting the aged look is beyond my pay grade, but that knowledge is out there in the vast space of this web.
Clear Chestnut boards are a rarity for hobby wood workers who pay $12.50 a board foot species of tree that we have no use. Not posts, firewood, milling but the manager of the store said "they buy anything we lean against the wall with a price tag. He did love (his words) the CS milled white oak example I brought to show.
Walnut cookie les than two foot diameter and two inches thick sold for $195 . Nuff said cept congratulations

Back