Barn find appraisal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@gumneck how do you like the Wild Thing? Also, it looks like that’s the strato version. Is that correct?
Yep its a strato. I have used it with good results on some pecan work. I had no problems running it through 3 tanks of fuel. I picked it up cheap, 10 or 20 bucks, and went through the normal fuel line and carb rebuild steps to an unused saw. The muffler opening up may have helped as well. For little investment and a couple hours on the bench it was worth it. I drained the tank and haven't used it in a while so a good test will be to see how it wakes back up. The purple one I have is in really good condition and would probably sell easily but I'm gonna keep it because its purple. I did the same thing to a green wild thing and sold it to a friend who rarely uses it but he says its starts and runs great.
They have their place. I dont know that I would want to have to depend on it solely but I have never used one to extremes either.

Yep its a strato. I have used it with good results on some pecan work. I had no problems running it through 3 tanks of fuel. I picked it up cheap, 10 or 20 bucks, and went through the normal fuel line and carb rebuild steps to an unused saw. The muffler opening up may have helped as well. For little investment and a couple hours on the bench it was worth it. I drained the tank and haven't used it in a while so a good test will be to see how it wakes back up. The purple one I have is in really good condition and would probably sell easily but I'm gonna keep it because its purple. I did the same thing to a green wild thing and sold it to a friend who rarely uses it but he says its starts and runs great.
They have their place. I dont know that I would want to have to depend on it solely but I have never used one to extremes either.
That’s good to hear. I have very little money invested in the several different Poulans that I have from that era. The parts are cheap, they’re easy to work on, and I like the way they look and sound. Mine are just toys, so I don’t have to rely on them either. I’m building one to be a mean ported truck saw. They can be made to be reliable and easy to start.

@Mac Guy 81 Good point on the parts, they are everywhere and will probably be around for a long time. And a really well sharpened and filed proper chain can make a big difference too.
Make sure you post your build in the "Niks Poulan" thread.....there's a lot of Poulan junkies in there.

@Mac Guy 81 Good point on the parts, they are everywhere and will probably be around for a long time. And a really well sharpened and filed proper chain can make a big difference too.
Make sure you post your build in the "Niks Poulan" thread.....there's a lot of Poulan junkies in there.
Yessir! Will do. I’m working on my PM 10-10s right now. When I get to the green machines, I’ll make sure to take some good pics. I have 2 with AV and 2 without. Various problems with all of them. Between the new parts I’ve purchased and the different issues they all have, I should be able to build 2 mean little saws and have plenty of extra parts left for more builds. One of the non AV chassis’s is pretty damaged and unusable, but it has a good engine and an OEM carb.

Latest posts

Back