Bars & Chain (What Would You Do?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info/opinions. The 72DPX is still classified as "yellow", but IMO the extra "bumper" drive link really blurs that line. Plus, it makes it a wee little bit more difficult to lower the raker by hand.

No, you got that wrong. Both the rakers and the ramps are small, not at all like the similar looking Stihl and Carlton stuff.

You are right that DPX is "yellow".

For future reference, my son just picked up one of these:
http://leftcoastsupplies.com/product/18-gb-arbor-pro-bar-325-063/
If your budget is very tight, it cost $14 for an 18"! Very solid bar so far for the money. Seriously, $14.

GBF-SN16-63MG.jpg

Likely made in China, but at a GB owned factory. At least that is how I understand it.

Paint clogging up between rails and maybe in holes are all the complaints I can recall - not a big deal.

No, you got that wrong. Both the rakers and the ramps are small, not at all like the similar looking Stihl and Carlton stuff.

You are right that DPX is "yellow".

I'm not sure what I got "wrong". Small as they may be, the ramps are still there, and shouldn't be on a yellow chain. It just doesn't make sense, and it's frustrating because it prevents me from buying Oregon chain (maybe I'll buckle someday). Like I said though, just an opinion...

I'm not sure what I got "wrong". Small as they may be, the ramps are still there, and shouldn't be on a yellow chain. It just doesn't make sense, and it's frustrating because it prevents me from buying Oregon chain (maybe I'll buckle someday). Like I said though, just an opinion...

The small ramps are instead of much larger and ramped rakers on chain like RS and LGX, not in addition to. Just a smarter way to get the same level of kickback protection (they all are "yellow", but there still is some protection in the design).
The only current chainsaw chain that has less protection is the RSK.

The ramps are not in the way when filing the rakers, unless you use a guide that isn't compatible with them.

i use bpx on smaller saws at the woodpile, lgx on saws used for felling and bucking. I have no problems or complaints filing the rakers on the bpx by hand right down to the last little bit of the cutter. i will agree that stihl chain seems to hold an edge longer and is slightly harder to file. no experience with carlton, but i think even the best chain can be turned into crap if a guy cant file well.

Back