Battery Powered Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrod

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am looking for a battery power saw to take with on rides in the woods to trim back trees and make trails, deer shooting lanes and such. Doubt if I will be cutting stuff much bigger that 6"-8". Anyone had good luck with any? I know Stihl has several models and so does Husqvarna. Looked at Dewalt since I have most battery powered tools from them but not sure how much power they have.

I am looking for a battery power saw to take with on rides in the woods to trim back trees and make trails, deer shooting lanes and such. Doubt if I will be cutting stuff much bigger that 6"-8". Anyone had good luck with any? I know Stihl has several models and so does Husqvarna. Looked at Dewalt since I have most battery powered tools from them but not sure how much power they have.
Depends on how much you plan on cutting but for doing the type of work you're talking about I'd say any option would be suitable. I've used Stihl, DeWalt flexvolt and the Milwaukee and all do well. Keep batteries warm in cold temps and you'll be fine. 6" is no problem but also depends on species you're cutting. It'll do 8" but obviously takes a bit more time. I'm in softwoods mostly and they're great. Super handy in very cold temps (less to carry along and deal with when things get frozen at -20 to -30). Again, keep the batteries warm. My job is doing trail work and most likely more intense (as in more volume and corridor widths etc) than occasional clearing that most folks do for logging routes, deer stands/lanes etc. Cordless definitely has its place. I switch back and forth with battery and gas on the trails by my house at times on my logging trails and other recreation trails clearing small dia trees and branches. Depends on what type of trail use too.

Seriously, there are more than a dozen threads reviewing different battery-powered chainsaws, if you want specific feedback on certain brands. But the batteries are half the saw: performance and price.

So, if you already are invested in a battery platform, and plan occasional use of the saw, go with what you got. Buy from some place like The Home Depot, keep your receipt, and if you are not satisfied, take it back.

If you are looking for extended or professional use, you might make another choice, but some of those cost a lot more too, especially when buying extra batteries.

Philbert

Think about shopping for the Dewalt stuff you have. Maybe the combo your drill, impact, and a couple batteries came in cost you $200. That's probably around $600 if you buy everything in the kit piecemeal.

Plus once you go off brand you need extra batteries for the new tool, and more chargers ******** up the truck/workbench, etc etc. I always tell people to stick with whatever battery platform they have unless there's a really compelling reason to switch. (As a side note though, switching between platforms within Dewalt's brand is sometimes less painful than average... for example you can put a 54v battery in an 18v tool, the new 18v LI batteries go in the old 18v Nicad tools with an adapter, flexvolt batteries charge on the LI 18v chargers, etc.)

(Also note that Dewalt's marketing idiots decided to start calling 18v "20v" when they went LI, so their 60v batteries are really 54v batteries. Check the package on any 20v dewalt battery and you'll see a disclaimer noting that it's really an 18v battery with a float voltage of about 20v... just like every other 18v battery in the world.... )

If AEG ever brings their 18v saw to the US, I will probably grab one since I already have the batteries. I guess the US version would probably be Ridgid branded, so lifetime warranty! (Hello, warranty department? Yes, my chain's dull again.... ;)

I have the dewalt 12 inch. Needs minimum 5ah battery imo, does well for what it is. Keep it around for light trimming around the house. Have done a bit of demo work with it as well. Only complaint is it's a oil pig. Literally keeps the chain dripping wet. But the tank still lasts longer then a 5ah battery.

Back