Bay tree grew into the side of a large Blue Oak - Advice sought

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys n Gals,

I have a large Blue Oak behind my house that has a Bay tree grown into the side of it. I know Bay trees harbor Phytophthora ramorum, so I cut this thing back a year or so ago. The problem is that the Bay Laurel has grown right into the side of the Oak and I'm concerned about the health and strength of the Oak if I completely remove the Bay. If it were further up the hill from my house I'd be much less concerned. To complicated matters, the Oak is really several trunks that meet at the base. I had another Oak like this fall down in a storm, maybe because they're less sturdy when they form like this?

Does this justify turning the Oak into firewood?

80-oak_bay_2_cacdef4272438fde9b43e225d8d7c7f554da2029.jpg

80-oak_bay_1_66f2b18aa25f0e51eff8ee80885c1439171ee3df.jpg

80-oak_bay_3_fcb663d09193b72a42a5db2673cf48d53ece88f8.jpg

Wow! This brings back memories!
I have not encountered California Bay Laurel since I was an arborist in the Bay Area, in the 80's
I still remember the headache!
Cutting down an otherwise healthy Blue Oak would be unfortunate.
Cutting down a healthy Bay Tree would be almost as unfortunate.
In my humble opinion, they are almost symbiotic, they share ground soil and mycorrhiza and can be beneficial to each other.

If your oak is healthy, leave it alone. Blue Oaks can be very touchy.

I agree cutting down the Oak(s) would be unfortunate. Bay trees are such a pest to the Oaks that "they" recommend cutting them down completely. My concern is that if the Oak were to fail, it'd fall right on my house. I have about 75 Blue Oaks on the 2 acres, and there's millions of them elsewhere in the area, so losing one isn't the end of the world.

BTW, love La Grange. Was in the saloon a couple months ago on the way to the annual guys camping trip to Moccasin Pt up above Don Pedro. My buddy has a few hundred acres up there. Here's the view from his gazebo bar.

80-gazebo_ea80effe4b2aa7fd507c75f4364e6aeff6f19ce5.jpg

There are a lot of good arborists in the bay area and talking to a certified arborist might be of great comfort if you are concerned about the blue oak falling. Your blue oak is likely older than you realize as they are slow growing. I am personally unaware of the Bay Trees being a pest to the oaks. If you were talking about deer being pests to BMW's I could understand that but the oaks and Bay Trees have been indigenous for many years before people inhabited your area. Here is someone who I know personally. If nothing else, please call him.

http://www.saratogatreeservice.com/submit.php

To help prevent the tree from going over I would install several anchors and guy wires. Very inobtrusive to the eye. Could be a trip hazard though. Then cable the stems accordingly.

Thanks. The Bays harbor a pest that causes sudden oak death. Some reading here. Although the Blue Oaks are not susceptible, there are several very, very old Live Oaks on my property and the property next door.

http://phytosphere.com/SODmgtPUB/pg53_3_2_2_3_SODmgntpub.htm
https://www.sonomanews.com/article/...ks-safe-from-sudden-oak-death-other-diseases/
Excellent!
Sudden Oak Death became a nuisance after I retired from professional arboriculture.
I was completely unaware of the nature of this disease. Excellent reading and very thorough!

What actual city are you located/near?

I'm in Morgan Hill on the Santa Cruz Mountains side. Elevation is about 700 feet so mostly oaks and shrubs.
I worked in that area quite a bit. Arborists in the San Jose area did not like going down there at that time.
I had regular customers there I would work for every year for weeks at a time.

I’ve never heard of blue oak until reading this. However I feel every oak turned into firewood is a great thing! Love that heat and smell!
We are talking about oaks in California. Oaks that would be 25 years old at that size on east coast that are hundreds of years old in California.
Quercus Douglasii grows in poor gravelly, dry soils.
"The trees grow slowly, about 30 cm (12 in) per year. Individual trees over 500 years old have been recorded."

I agree cutting down the Oak(s) would be unfortunate. Bay trees are such a pest to the Oaks that "they" recommend cutting them down completely. My concern is that if the Oak were to fail, it'd fall right on my house. I have about 75 Blue Oaks on the 2 acres, and there's millions of them elsewhere in the area, so losing one isn't the end of the world.

BTW, love La Grange. Was in the saloon a couple months ago on the way to the annual guys camping trip to Moccasin Pt up above Don Pedro. My buddy has a few hundred acres up there. Here's the view from his gazebo bar.

80-gazebo_ea80effe4b2aa7fd507c75f4364e6aeff6f19ce5.jpg
A little off topic but your friend in GA has great taste in Bourbon! Knob Creek 9yr old straight bourbon. I've deer hunted behind their distillery many times back in the 70s. Beautiful view from of the sunrise and his mountain side Gazebo. Thanks for sharing. :cool: OT

Back