BC1000XL Axle Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboreham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, first post having just acquired an 02 BC1000XL 2800hrs. Plan on using it to clean up deadfall / reduce fuel under 10ac mixed pine/aspen on my property. I already run a mini excavator and track skid steer but this is first chipper encounter. Currently working through the machine fixing little things and getting the maintenance up to a known state, and educating myself how to stay safe.

So, one of the several issues with this machine is that someone has modified the hubs -- I understand it is supposed to have electric brakes, but mine currently has one hub is a non-brake unit while the other side looks to be original but has the brake wires disconnected (because...a trailer that brakes on one side isn't too useful, right?). Guessing the brakes seized up on one side and they opted to put in whatever hub was to hand as a fix. Although I don't plan on hauling the chipper around, so don't really need it to be road worthy, I want to see if I can get it back to stock configuration. Wondering if someone here would be able to tell me what kind of axle was used on these chippers? I believe most trailers use Dexter axles and the parts are readily available, so I'm hoping to ID the axle and fix it myself. Problem is, the plate on the axle has been torn off. It looks like it might be a 6000lbs #11 Torflex axle. Thanks!

You're correct that it's a Dexter. I would look for a Dexter dealer in your area as I'm finding that the factory is having problems producing axles and parts. I'm seeing a 4-6 week lead-time here in GA. There will be part numbers on the correct side that has the brakes. You can tell them that you need the parts for the other side and they should be able to help you. I believe, you can visit Dexter's website and they will tell you the dealers in your area.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Latest posts

Back