BC1230 with Perkins Motor Slide Belt Tension Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDTS447

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got an older BC1230 (not the A) with a Perkins diesel that I've recently had to replace the bearings for the disc on (an adventure in and of itself... if anyone needs help with this feel free to contact me because it was an ordeal). In order to get the drive belt for the cutter disc removed, the whole motor must be slid to loosen tension on the belt and subsequently remove the large pulley on the shaft. That was the easy part. My question is... how is the motor supposed to be moved back with the "adjustment" bolt on the frame on the REAR SIDE OF THE MOTOR (under the clutch) to tension the belt? It only appears that it can adjust in one direction with the way its set up. About to just use a chain around the clutch and a loadbinder to something sturdy to tension it up but feel like they put the bolt there for a reason...

First photo is under the front of the motor. This one's good.
Second is underneath of the clutch. This one's the one my neurodivergent brain can't understand.

Attachments

• 20221204_164135.jpg
    20221204_164135.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221204_164143.jpg
    20221204_164143.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 0
Just used the loadbinder. Would still love to hear if someone knows how to use the rear bolt.

I've got an older BC1230 (not the A) with a Perkins diesel that I've recently had to replace the bearings for the disc on (an adventure in and of itself... if anyone needs help with this feel free to contact me because it was an ordeal). In order to get the drive belt for the cutter disc removed, the whole motor must be slid to loosen tension on the belt and subsequently remove the large pulley on the shaft. That was the easy part. My question is... how is the motor supposed to be moved back with the "adjustment" bolt on the frame on the REAR SIDE OF THE MOTOR (under the clutch) to tension the belt? It only appears that it can adjust in one direction with the way its set up. About to just use a chain around the clutch and a loadbinder to something sturdy to tension it up but feel like they put the bolt there for a reason...

First photo is under the front of the motor. This one's good.
Second is underneath of the clutch. This one's the one my neurodivergent brain can't understand.
Is the stud in the 2nd picture broke off? If so it should be going through the hole to the right side through the frame hole.

Is the stud in the 2nd picture broke off? If so it should be going through the hole to the right side through the frame hole.
That actually makes way more sense. The all-thread is welded to a nut on the other side but that doesn't mean it wasn't always that way. Jesus... we thought it was a hole to stick a socket extension through. Thank you!

Latest posts

Back