bc1800xl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vermeer 1800 chippers

I've got 4 Vermeer 1800 chippers but not the newest BC XL. I've had plenty of problems with our older ones. Fortunately, our mechanic was the service mechanic at the local vermeer dealership before he came to work for us. I'm glad to hear that someone reported having blown drums too, only in the sense that I'm not the only one. The dealers always tell you they've never had that problem before. I know they took care of us in some kind of way, not that they put brand new drums in for us but they may have given us a drum and we put it in. I can ask our mechanic if anyone is interested. We had huge problems with the axles. They were underrated at 8,000lbs since we ordered the John Deer 170 hp engines, it put us over the 8,000 lbs. They never said there would be a problem but then our axles were bending. They put in 10,000lb axles in the BCXL 1800's now. We just did demos on the brush bandit, morbark and vermeer. All were comparable machines and our guys liked the vermeer the best. My problem is I need to know what the lowest price you can buy one for. The salesman started at $47,000 and subtracted the sales price to 30,000 since I'm trading in an 1800 A chipper and an old 252 stump grinder with trailer. However, I don't know if I'm getting a good deal. Has anyone bought an 1800BCXL lately and what did they get it down to? Thanks. I'm new to this site so I hope I'm responding correctly.
Hi,
I am looking out for old Vermeers BC 1800 and above. They can be in non working conditions and we can take them as how they are. Please let me know where I can find them. Thanks in advance

hi, new to site, try to take it easy on me.
wanted to know if anyone had any feedback on a vermeer 1800xl?!?!?!
i am in the market for buying a new machine, and it seems like the way to go.
i am used to the brush bandits, but here in fla, there is no service.:dizzy:
Hi,
I am looking out for old Vermeers BC 1800 and above. They can be in non working conditions and we can take them as how they are. Please let me know where I can find them. Thanks in advance

Since someone revived this really old thread, I'll update my Vermeer experience for anyone who is thinking about an older Vermeer.

Fast forward almost 6 years and a month, and I've been very happy with my Vermeer BC2000. I got my service issues resolved and since then, the machine has had very few repairs other than replacing the batteries after 8 years, a new updated alternator, and some time spent chasing a short that turned out to be a ground issue related to a failing alternator. The other repairs have been replaced tires when one of the Goodyears lost its tread (even though it had plenty of life left) and replacing a few hoses and the switch that opens and closes the grapple. Still using the same radiator (this machine has a coolant recovery bottle) and only replaced the belt after the idler pulley failed. That repair wasn't bad at all. Think it cost me 45 minutes and about $300 for parts. The belt didn't need repair (at 1000 hours) but decided to replace it while I had it off for the pulley.

The machine still starts and runs like new and other than blade prices doubling, I don't spend a whole lot on it. Just replace filters, fluids, etc. at the right intervals. I have to say that I've kept it longer than I have any of my Bobcats though I don't quite put the hard hours on it that the Bobcat's rack up. After switching my focus to mostly mulching the last two years, I'm probably going to sell the chipper and it's been a hard decision to make. It's sort of a novelty around here with the loader on it but I just don't have the jobs or time for it and I never got around to training anyone to operate the loader. Instead of letting it sit, I will probably sell it in the next few months.

As a side note, a competitor had a mid 2000's morbark in the same class (20" capacity). His machine was broke down all the time but not sure why. I don't think breakdowns are brand specific and it's luck of the draw with the big name manufacturers. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Vermeer after owning one for so long.
Hi,

i have used them.

they are junk.i wouldn't piss on an 1800 if it was on fire.stay with Bandit,Morbark,or Woodchuck.
Hi,

Back