Beat MS200T value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint Mitch

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A buddy has a fairly used MS200T I'm guessing was an old tree service company saw. I witnessed it run the last time it was used about 4 years ago. Sounded LEAN so I'm guessing bad seal or something. I figure it needs carb, seals, fuel/oil lines and piston/rings. Do you all think its worth $100 as a project?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

A buddy has a fairly used MS200T I'm guessing was an old tree service company saw. I witnessed it run the last time it was used about 4 years ago. Sounded LEAN so I'm guessing bad seal or something. I figure it needs carb, seals, fuel/oil lines and piston/rings. Do you all think its worth $100 as a project?

If you don’t want the project... buy it for $100 if it looks cosmetically ok, I’m sure you can flip it without spending a minute on it for $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks pretty used. Like I said I think old tree service saw

If you dont like it when you buy it I will give you more. Yes its worth more than that.

Pics as promised!
I got the 660 evl also probably paid way too much, but oh well. Neither would start but like I said I saw them run the last time they ran a few years ago, so I have hope for the Echo
e92723296732d259e8d106b016e7f445.jpg
46b06a87ddc04bfb2c3ac4fdf376ebfd.jpg
f583fb7372ea23d67bc2e1fdc8ed8b23.jpg
542853941c8053f849aa81694ee0f301.jpg
0df297e3844620f04d491048c7a1f175.jpg
72a66f83073a8cd866c2c2139f650ce6.jpg

I figure I need piston/rings, carb, impulse/ fuel lines and seals to make it run properly. What am I looking at for parts price wise. Im thinking I want to try doing it. Probably need a few tools too, but I'll start a build thread and let you all tell me how to do it LOL.

I assume I'm going to have to order parts from a local dealer since its a Stihl? All mine aren't worth the time

Lets start with a quick clean up, dump the tanks, fresh fuel...fuel down the carbs and see if they'll kick. Do a compression test if they feel even remotely easy to pull or just do one anyway. Id be shocked if either saw needed to be opened up unless they were grossly mistreated

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I figure I need piston/rings, carb, impulse/ fuel lines and seals to make it run properly. What am I looking at for parts price wise. Im thinking I want to try doing it. Probably need a few tools too, but I'll start a build thread and let you all tell me how to do it LOL.

The goal is to diagnose and fix, not guess. Start by cleaning up the saw as suggested. Then you can start to evaluate what you have, and what needs to be done. A dirty saw that hasn’t ran for some time doesn’t mean it’s broken. May just need some cheap tlc, or maybe some not so cheap parts. If the echo needs any sort of major work you’ll be upside down on that in a heart beat. I would have left that one behind.

Personally, I would have let him keep the Echo.
Like others have said- clean the 200 up as you take the covers off you might get a better idea of what might need replaced.
Compression and pressure/vac testing will tell you a lot more than guessing and if I were you, I would not be tossing any 200T OEM carb until it was known to be bad.
To me, that 200T looks more of a homeowner neglected than tree service worn out. Tree service saws past their use by date usually have some battle scars to the plastics from dropping, or limb swing whoopsies.

I assume I'm going to have to order parts from a local dealer since its a Stihl? All mine aren't worth the time

i fully expect that there is a HUGE supply of both OEM and third party replacement parts available from many different suppliers that can be found with a quick google search.

Back