Been playing with a MS400C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overkill338

M-Tronicly Obsessed
Reaction score
I was skeptical about this saw, because it's so close to a 462. After using a 661, my 462, and then down to the 400, the lighter weight was easy to feel. Throttle response is insanely quick, and power doesn't feel to be too far behind the 462 (at least for what we were doing).

Already have a Bark Box and Air Cleaner System from West Coast Saw on the way.

Price was $891 with the 20" Sugihara bar.

20210512_154006_copy_1843x872.jpg

I'm anxious to see and handle a 400. Not available, and not even on the web sites of chainsaw dealers in my area.
Handling, it feels just like a 362, because it is just a big bore 362. Every part swaps. It just tachs up quicker than a 362. As far as weight, if you took the model badges off, you couldn't tell the difference in the 362 and 400.

I was skeptical about this saw, because it's so close to a 462. After using a 661, my 462, and then down to the 400, the lighter weight was easy to feel. Throttle response is insanely quick, and power doesn't feel to be too far behind the 462 (at least for what we were doing).

Already have a Bark Box and Air Cleaner System from West Coast Saw on the way.

Price was $891 with the 20" Sugihara bar.

View attachment 907195
What was the use case? I’ll be watching this thread as I am interested in the 400 too.

What was the use case? I’ll be watching this thread as I am interested in the 400 too.
Friend has several logs pulled up where he sells firewood. Wasn't like we were trying to fell trees with it.

Here is a video of my buddy running the 400 (the 400 is his). So, don't attack me for no PSE lol Going to make some better videos in a couple weeks. Going to do some before and After timed cuts when we add the Bark Box and Air filter.

MS400

Friend has several logs pulled up where he sells firewood. Wasn't like we were trying to fell trees with it.

Here is a video of my buddy running the 400 (the 400 is his). So, don't attack me for no PSE lol Going to make some better videos in a couple weeks. Going to do some before and After timed cuts when we add the Bark Box and Air filter.

MS400

To each their own, thank you for sharing, I don’t attack people for their personal choices.

Best way I can describe a MS400, it's a 441 in 362 clothing.

I bet. My 461 still gives me a boner, but the 290 does most of the work for me. Only once last year did I put the 32" B&C on the 461 and really got to use it as it was purposed. Most of the time the 290 just does it all. Just need it to die, before I can spend ~$800 on a new saw.

I bet. My 461 still gives me a boner, but the 290 does most of the work for me. Only once last year did I put the 32" B&C on the 461 and really got to use it as it was purposed. Most of the time the 290 just does it all. Just need it to die, before I can spend ~$800 on a new saw.

Don't wait for it to die. Literally the best feature of a 290 is resale value. Some idiot will give you way too much money for one of those in running condition. Now is probably a great time to sell one. Around here they sell used for pretty much what a 290 cost when it was new.

Saturday I had some trigger time on a 400. It had nothing for the 56-68cc saws at the GTG but the 400 was pretty fresh and the others were ported. If a 362 had ran like that when it came out it probably would not have gotten the hate it has. I wonder if @dmb2613 has ran one yet?

Don't wait for it to die. Literally the best feature of a 290 is resale value. Some idiot will give you way too much money for one of those in running condition. Now is probably a great time to sell one. Around here they sell used for pretty much what a 290 cost when it was new.

I like that idea. I'd like to sell it with the .325 20" B&C set up. I'm going to get this onto craigslist and facebook marketplace today. :)

Saturday I had some trigger time on a 400. It had nothing for the 56-68cc saws at the GTG but the 400 was pretty fresh and the others were ported. If a 362 had ran like that when it came out it probably would not have gotten the hate it has. I wonder if @dmb2613 has ran one yet?
The 362 version 2 definitely runs better than version 1. But you are right, the 400 is definitely impressive. The 362 would be hugely popular if it ran like that.

I like that idea. I'd like to sell it with the .325 20" B&C set up. I'm going to get this onto craigslist and facebook marketplace today. :)
Thats a great idea, good luck with your sale!

Thats a great idea, good luck with your sale!

Thanks!

Now on facebook and craigslist. A bit premature, as a 400 is not even yet available in my area. Should sell quickly (I hope) at $225. I cleaned it up, mounted the .325 B&C, comes with extra brand new chain, and tested at 145 psi. I'll be sad to see it go, but a ms400 should be a nice solution to that sadness. :happybanana:

Thanks!

Now on facebook and craigslist. A bit premature, as a 400 is not even yet available in my area. Should sell quickly (I hope) at $225. I cleaned it up, mounted the .325 B&C, comes with extra brand new chain, and tested at 145 psi. I'll be sad to see it go, but a ms400 should be a nice solution to that sadness. :happybanana:

On FB Marketplace, around here, 290's are listed for $350. Start high!

It is best the 290 be gone when the 400 comes. Otherwise, you'd throw rocks at the 290 after you use that 400 lol

On FB Marketplace, around here, 290's are listed for $350. Start high!

It is best the 290 be gone when the 400 comes. Otherwise, you'd throw rocks at the 290 after you use that 400 lol

I think you are right. I got a hit already. But honestly, this 290 I have had for 10 years, has been a work horse. I've cut about or over 10 cords of wood a year with it, been very reliable, strong running, etc. I could give it away and feel I have more then gotten my moneys worth. I remember when I bought it, and didn't know much of anything about chainsaws. All I knew is that 2 neighbors had Stihls and I knew what I was willing to spend. The 290 met the criteria.

I left my number with the possible buyer. If I hear nothing then I might bump the price up. If the 400 was available somewhere close, I'd sell it at any price. I've got new saw 400 fever taking hold.

I think you are right. I got a hit already. But honestly, this 290 I have had for 10 years, has been a work horse. I've cut about or over 10 cords of wood a year with it, been very reliable, strong running, etc. I could give it away and feel I have more then gotten my moneys worth. I remember when I bought it, and didn't know much of anything about chainsaws. All I knew is that 2 neighbors had Stihls and I knew what I was willing to spend. The 290 met the criteria.

I left my number with the possible buyer. If I hear nothing then I might bump the price up. If the 400 was available somewhere close, I'd sell it at any price. I've got new saw 400 fever taking hold.
If you dont find one local, I can get you one here and ship it to you.

If you dont find one local, I can get you one here and ship it to you.

I might take you up on that offer. The ms290 is getting a lot of interests. As of now it looks like someone is coming out tomorrow morning to buy it at $250 or $275.

I paid about $325 to $350, 9 years ago, about a 100 cords of woods ago. Hell Yeah! :rock:

Latest posts

Back