Beginner book recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I’m looking to purchase a book or books (actual paper books made from trees!) that detail and illustrate: felling techniques, climbing techniques, limbing, pruning, and tree care. I’m a professional plumber but have recently fallen in love with trees, saws, milling, and woodworking. Ideally I’d work for a top notch tree service but I still like my job and I support my family. I appreciate your input and time.

"To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson is an excellent intro, just what you're looking for. Written by a pro tree worker. He also has another book on climbing, also very good.

The "bible" on tree work is G.F. Beranek's "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work." It's much more in depth and many more pages than Jepson's book. Study both, practice for years, and you'll be on your way.

What he said.
Jepson’s Tree Climber’s Companion, and To Fell a Tree. Then Fundamentals of General Tree Work.
It’s hard to find a copy of The Fundamentals, and a good condition one is usually a few hundred dollars now. There’s a digital copy that’s pretty affordable from Patrick at Educated Climber.
https://www.educatedclimber.com/beranek-fundamentals/
Also I suggest “ Arborist Equipment “ by Don Blair. It’s very informative and very entertaining, Mr Blair is a great writer, lots of humor in that book.

Looked up the Arborist Equipment book. Won’t be purchasing too soon……..thought it was funny-check the picture

Attachments

• 496551AE-8222-4322-A786-6D0DACE3DB22.png
    496551AE-8222-4322-A786-6D0DACE3DB22.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 14
Whoa.
I got my copy last year from EBay for I think around 60$ in very good condition.

Whoa.
I got my copy last year from EBay for I think around 60$ in very good condition.
I did manage to track one down. Bartlett Arborist Supply had one. This is the same place I ordered spurs, harness, and flipline. BTW- wife thinks I’m nuts . Thank you so much for your time and help!

Thank you Philbert! Looks like Mr Jepson is the author of choice.
His books are very good and very popular.

It can be helpful to read through some of those other (mostly free) USFS, and other publications to get other, or a broader perspective, on things, or to see other topics addressed.

For me, training is a continuous process, so I am happy to read stuff (or attend classes), even if they only reinforce things I know. Sometimes you learn new stuff that applies to the type of cutting that you do. Sometimes you learn about stuff that other people do. Sometimes you are challenged by conflicting information, and have to really think through what you 'know'.

Same thing with working with other sawyers who may have different methods or techniques. I am confident that similar things apply to learning about plumbing!

Philbert

His books are very good and very popular.

It can be helpful to read through some of those other (mostly free) USFS, and other publications to get other, or a broader perspective, on things, or to see other topics addressed.

For me, training is a continuous process, so I am happy to read stuff (or attend classes), even if they only reinforce things I know. Sometimes you learn new stuff that applies to the type of cutting that you do. Sometimes you learn about stuff that other people do. Sometimes you are challenged by conflicting information, and have to really think through what you 'know'.

Same thing with working with other sawyers who may have different methods or techniques. I am confident that similar things apply to learning about plumbing!

Philbert
Yes, 23 years in the plumbing business and I’m still learning through all the scenarios you mentioned. It’s amazing that there seems to be unlimited chances to absorb knowledge due to the vastness of arborist field. Everything from tree names, safety, lumber making, climbing, felling, chainsaw maintenance, etc……Its funny, 8 months ago I thought a chainsaw was just another type of outdoor power equipment like a weed eater or hedge trimmers. How wrong! I couldn’t believe that I needed to know 4 specs just to order a replacement chain and that’s not counting the various “ best application” specs! Just happy to be learning and grateful for those willing to help others

Update:

Based on your recommendations, I’ve purchased and am currently reading all 4 of the aforementioned books. They are invaluable resources. Also, climbed and removed 7 trees as well as climbed and pruned 4 others. A few more jobs are coming up. I look forward to tree jobs like a kid awaiting Christmas morning 😂

Update:

Based on your recommendations, I’ve purchased and am currently reading all 4 of the aforementioned books. They are invaluable resources. Also, climbed and removed 7 trees as well as climbed and pruned 4 others. A few more jobs are coming up. I look forward to tree jobs like a kid awaiting Christmas morning 😂
I just saw this thread. Good luck on your new " hobby". I'm just north of you near York, PA. Are you the plumber in Churchville that works around the clock? :laugh:
1638176739586.png

I just saw this thread. Good luck on your new " hobby". I'm just north of you near York, PA. Are you the plumber in Churchville that works around the clock? :laugh:
View attachment 944796
Too funny!! 😂. Looks like our competitors work!!

I suppose a “howdy neighbor!” is in order.

I’m not sure yet if it’s a hobby or an obsession. We’ll see……..

Just picked up rigging gear to have some good, safe, exhausting fun with. Actually, this tree thing may classified as addiction 😂. Truly amazing that I get paid for something I would pay to do

I'd also add that the ISA Certified Arborist test prep book is a good "all around general knowledge" book. It certainly deals a lot less with equipment and failing techniques. However I've always felt that somebody should understand the patient before understanding the equipment used to work on the patient. Would you rather have a surgeon working on you that is really good with anatomy or just the guy who sharpens the knife the best?

The ISA book won't have everything you need to work on trees, but I think it's broad base can help you understand what areas you need to study more... Even if you never intend to take the certified arborist test, I still think it is a good book to have on the library.

A little more in-depth would be Shigo's Modern Arboriculture then his A New Tree Biology.

Ed Gillman's Illustrated Guide to Pruning is another great book if you want to improve pruning capabilities.

Latest posts

Back