Beginner porting advice 372xp BB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New_Guy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy guys, long time reader first time poster. Been running husky saws for years and have a few in the garage but I got a farmertec 372xp kit to learn more about how they work and have some more experience working on them. The saw has a ported muffler, nimtek carb upgrade, and base gasket delete and runs better than I expected, almost as well as a stock oe372. Even with the base gasket delete squish height was .039 so I know there’s more in her.

Onto the bad, the cylinder is starting to score and there’s some pockmarks at the bottom of the cylinder so I picked up a cheap 52mm single ring kit and I want to try my hand at porting. I’ll have an experienced engine porter to help with the tools and equipment but want some opinions on my plan for modifications. I’ve done research and read many threads and I think I have a plan. For my first porting attempt I don’t want to go crazy, I think my goal will be to check timing and if it is within acceptable standards just set the squish to .020, widen the intake and exhaust, and potentially just lightly work the transition from crankcase into the lower transfer ports. The Chinese cylinders seem to be more oval on the intake and exhaust than the OE and higher quality AM cylinders so it seems good gains can be found just from making the sides more vertical and a little wider. I believe I will try to step and polish the exhaust as well after reading masterminds porting guide for the 372.

I’m not to worried about messing up a 40 dollar cylinder and I can play around with this saw because I have others that are all original and reliable. I know this plan is a lot more simple than a lot of the porting guides on here but I don’t want to get in over my head. I’d love to hear some opinions and thoughts and I’m here to learn before starting on all this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back