Beginning climber/saddle question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning everyone
Interested in learning to climb. Been reading Tree Climber's Companion and going to just start out recreational climbing with very basic Ddrt system. My question is regarding what saddle to buy. I'm 6'7", so would any of you taller fellas have a saddle you'd recommend? Something with adjustable leg straps, so I can get the leg supports further down my legs (ie more comfortable)? Probably more importantly, I need something with as much lower back support as possible. I noticed some SRT setups have a chest harness that clips into the ascender to move it with the climber. I imagine that would provide some back/torso support being able to lean back against the rope when necessary. Are there any Ddrt saddle/harness rigs that would allow something similar? Hope these questions make sense, I'm a total newbie when it comes to climbing, but excited to try it out. Thanks!

I think the monkey beaver saddle is the king at the moment. treemotion is very popular too, petzl seqiu or however it's spelled its popular. I think the petzl is more lightweight and less back support/comfort. If you can try some saddles out before you buy that is best but may not be possible. Some saw shops/vermeer dealers can let u try them out. That or some rec climbers may climb near u and let u try some.

Finally had some free time on my last trip to the city and stopped by the Vermeer dealer. Unfortunately, they had most of the 'showroom' roped off to prevent people from looking around and pawing through everything. Guess I'll have to wait and go back after all this virus mess is over.. They did give me a good catalog to look thru tho

Back