Best 3/8" chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horrigan72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for the best pro grade 3/8" .050 chain to run on 56cc saw. Something I can file with a round file. No anti kick back crap, etc....and go.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

You are probably going to get a lot of different answers but from my experience this is what I have found. I have run all them. I found that I like Archer chains the best. They are on the cheaper side. Oregon is a fine chain, but there cutters are kinda soft for my personal taste. Stihl makes a good chain, just can't get over the price. Archer chains come from factory with a weird grind on them. I will take a new chain and sharpen it with round file to my liking and adjust rakers with gauge and after that they rip. The cutters are harder that oregon which means they hold a edge longer but not so hard that they are hard to file. If something crazy happens and I wreck a chain then I am not out much on cost either.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

You are probably going to get a lot of different answers but from my experience this is what I have found. I have run all them. I found that I like Archer chains the best. They are on the cheaper side. Oregon is a fine chain, but there cutters are kinda soft for my personal taste. Stihl makes a good chain, just can't get over the price. Archer chains come from factory with a weird grind on them. I will take a new chain and sharpen it with round file to my liking and adjust rakers with gauge and after that they rip. The cutters are harder that oregon which means they hold a edge longer but not so hard that they are hard to file. If something crazy happens and I wreck a chain then I am not out much on cost either.

May I ask what vendor you use to purchase Archer chain?

I just purchase mine off of eBay at whatever size I need. I have not gotten into buying a roll and making my own chains yet.

I have used .325 STIHL chains on my 260. Switch between semi and full chisel depending on needs. both work great. I did find out though that the cutters are hard and you will need a good quality round file to use.
Recently bought an Oregon 3/8 Full chisel for another saw and I like it as well. Cuts great files easily and is cheaper than the Stihl.
Hear lots of good things about the Husky X-cut chains as well. Was going to buy one not long ago but they were out of stock, hence the new Oregon chain...

Also have a County line (Tractor Supply Brand made by tri-link I believe) chain on a little saw that I strictly use when needing to abuse a chain (mainly cutting stumps flush and in the dirt.) It has held up surprisingly well and was quite cheap.

Last I looked Archer went up in price. I went through most of selling of 50' of Archer 3/8 with no complaints but don't remember using it on my personal saws yet. If it isn't much cheaper then Stihl chain I probably will not buy it next time. Stihl is pricey but if you want to be confident you have a good quality chain, RM and RS are premium in my book. I have been happy with most Oregon and Carlton chain also . I think Stihl has them beat with 3/8 RM semi chisel but full chisel is a close call.

Depends on what your asking of it. Honestly most of the aftermarket stuff is a step below stihl chain in one way or another but it works just fine if your a self sharpener. I have been trying several different brands over the last few months..archer, forrester, oregon, woodlandpro(carlton), tallox. They all seem to function just fine and operate better after I file them, all seem to hold a edge for 2 tanks if I keep them out of the earth and the wood is pretty clean. I get these same results running stihl chain. The only thing I have yet to learn is if the hardening has been done properly all the way through the chisels. In the past I have experienced off brands not hardening the cutters all the way through resulting in softer teeth after 2-4 sharpening's, I can say I have never found this on a stihl chain, seemed like drivers are another section I need to look at as well.

Husky X Cut for me. Have ran Stihl, but hard to find around here in 058. I think X Cut is very similar in quality, but much more affordable price wise. Have nothing but good things to say about it, and 100' rolls gets the price down low. Been running it almost everyday for about 9 months.

Stihl is my favorite the x cut from husqy is a very close second, and what I'll be getting from now on. (If available in the size I need) I haven't been happy with the last batch of oregon I got. Very very soft. I haven't tried the new exl yet, and frankly don't plan to. With the favorable mentions of archer I'm inclined to grab a loop or two to try.

I use a lot of the Woodland Pro chains. They are fairly cheap and easy to sharpen but do not stay sharp as long as Stihl. I have some of their RS chains too. The Stihl PS3 chains are awesome- super sharp and stay sharp an amazingly long time for full chisel. But those are 3/8 LP and I do not know if they make chains with the same features in regular 3/8.

"safety" chain cuts just as well as regular even-less-safe chain except for bore cuts. It'll do them but it's slow. For felling where I may do bore cuts I'll use regular non safe chain but safety chain is fine for bucking.

("safe" is of course relative- it'll still kick back if you do something wrong with the tip of the bar, just not as hard)

Latest posts

Back