best aftermarket cylinder kit for an ms660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a round top 066 out of the junk yard and did some wheeling and dealing and ended up with a couple of top ends. The original jug was being cleaned up so I put an old farmtech cylinder and a Dukes saw salvage pop up in it.
It runs very well and for the price I wouldn't hesitate to mill with it.
Hmm very nice have you done anything to the ports? Even just a quick sweep? I'm assuming you did w/o a base gasket? Did ot have a decomp hole? Mines the what some people refer to as a man pants 066 cause of no decomp valve. Lol I don't care either way as im still young enough to handle a couple good tugs.

Hmm very nice have you done anything to the ports? Even just a quick sweep? I'm assuming you did w/o a base gasket? Did ot have a decomp hole? Mines the what some people refer to as a man pants 066 cause of no decomp valve. Lol I don't care either way as im still young enough to handle a couple good tugs.
I did nothing to the ports, i did do a BGD though. Tried 3 different combinations of p/c to get it under .030 including the oem.
The pop up really made a big difference in performance. A friend of mine has the ft blue thunder version and mine clearly walks away from his. He mills with his on a regular basis though, it's not rocket science despite the contrary opinions.

I did nothing to the ports, i did do a BGD though. Tried 3 different combinations of p/c to get it under .030 including the oem.
The pop up really made a big difference in performance. A friend of mine has the ft blue thunder version and mine clearly walks away from his. He mills with his on a regular basis though, it's not rocket science despite the contrary opinions.
Cool deal thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go with a hyway popup with caber rings. There's one i found with a obo im trying for $70

Cool deal thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna go with a hyway popup with caber rings. There's one i found with a obo im trying for $70
Yup caber rings go in just about anything I rebuilt, except for the old American saws that they aren't available for.
The Cabers are gonna take a least 10 tanks to really mate to the cylinder bore so expect that. I built an MS441 that seemed to take forever to wake up with cabers ,because they sip fuel mix.

I bought a Farmertec 038 cylinder piston and ring combo. the timing was all over the place. even need to JB Weld the transfer roofs to bring the timing close to the OEM timing. plus set the squish on a lathe. it runs great but did not try it on load yet.
rings had the HY mark on them… so i assume they are from Hyway.

Yup caber rings go in just about anything I rebuilt, except for the old American saws that they aren't available for.
The Cabers are gonna take a least 10 tanks to really mate to the cylinder bore so expect that. I built an MS441 that seemed to take forever to wake up with cabers ,because they sip fuel mix.
I'm more then ok with a longer bed in. Just gose to show the true quality of cabers and that they will perform must better under high stress situations for much longer which milling is good at doing to chainsaws. I have plenty of other saws to use and if it's anything big I can grab my ported 460 she cuts pretty decent. Do you have any experience with the hyway titanikel cylinders? For the extra 20 or 30 bucks I was considering trying one. I know there hard to port but if it ran good enough I probably wouldn't change any timing numbers but just smooth and open things up abit.

A few months smart phone bill is hardly going to break anyone.
Plus you won't have to go into the thing twice like many have to do with Chinese junk.
I have fitted plenty of chinese pistons/cylinders etc, none of them I have had to "go into the thing twice" but sure you keep up the OEM is god mantra when Stihl themselves have a factory in China, Qingdao, China if you must know....

I have fitted plenty of chinese pistons/cylinders etc, none of them I have had to "go into the thing twice" but sure you keep up the OEM is god mantra when Stihl themselves have a factory in China, Qingdao, China if you must know....
None of their pro saws are made there and for good reason.
But by all means keep supporting the enemy.

Piston and cylinder kits aren't gonna sink us, we're doing the job in much more effective ways than chainsaw parts , don't sweat the small stuff .
Honestly the Aftermarket support is really bolstered by the YouTube channels and not the forums.
Forums are the laughing stock for young people anymore . We're just a bunch of old saw and machine nerds.
If you really want to stop Aftermarket sales get on YouTube with your findings, because those guys are buying shipping containers of the not a handful of products.

None of their pro saws are made there and for good reason.
But by all.menas keep.supporting the enemy.
Just because you say it doesn't necessarily make it true.
Enemy.... ROFLMAO, you best castigate Stihl for having a factory in China eh.....

The original Farmertech jugs weren’t bad. Same with the Cross Performance. The later stuff is usually terrible. Meteor has goofy timing, Hyway has sloppy casting. Titanikel is hard as hell, but the castings are still sloppy. If you want to go aftermarket your probably best with a Hyway Big Bore Popup. It’s likely to run almost as well as OEM. Delete the base gasket. Your squish will still be 0.040”. If you have a dremel or similar take some time to clean up the casting flash and even out the port edges where you can. Make sure the intake matches the inside of the boot. Ignore the trolls and snake oil salesmen. Aftermarket isn’t great, but Hyway will run. Other brands will too, but less reliably.

I suppose you can name a pro saw made in China??
the hutzl/farmertec pro saws are made in china but they require a crap ton of parts being swapped and full disassembly to ensure everything is there and tight. Crankshaft failure is a looming problem using them hard.
The difference is power and longevity. Id say oem makes 30% more power and will last decades of every day hard use. when milling its life is measured in hours not years. Expect less life and even less using aftermarket components that will not handle the extreme heat and stress as long making good power. Aftermarket is not bad but i would not buy 1 jug and expect to have that be the end of it, buy 3 sets and keep the power head extremely clean and over fueled to extend its life.

the hutzl/farmertec pro saws are made in china but they require a crap ton of parts being swapped and full disassembly to ensure everything is there and tight. Crankshaft failure is a looming problem using them hard.
The difference is power and longevity. Id say oem makes 30% more power and will last decades of every day hard use. when milling its life is measured in hours not years. Expect less life and even less using aftermarket components that will not handle the extreme heat and stress as long making good power. Aftermarket is not bad but i would not buy 1 jug and expect to have that be the end of it, buy 3 sets and keep the power head extremely clean and over fueled to extend its life.
Those are junk copies.

Back