Best Chain saw for under $1200.00 to buy for cutting trees once a month or so, not every week?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very impressed with my Stihl ms400 been running professional chainsaws since the early '90s and the ms400 was the one saw that really surprised me with it's performance right out of the box!
My suggestions are:
Stihl MS400
Echo CS620p
Husqvarna 562xp
In that order.....
The husky has the best handling, the echo quite a bit less expensive than the other two while performing right up there with the husky, the Stihl is the lightest and out cuts both the other saws hands down!

This is all just one guys opinions.
I like stihl, used a small Echo, never used a Husqvarna, nor have I heard any bad things about them.

I reckon I missed the whole theme here. BEST under $1,200, not best value for intended use. Certainly the high dollar pro saws are the "Best". Most appropriate is debatable but not the OP's question. I'll withdraw my thought on the Echo CS-590 as it clearly doesn't meet the criteria.

$1200 seems like a very worthy budget. All my saws were bought new in 2009-2010, didnt pay near that much per saw.
Echo CS530 18” bar $400 ish
372XPW 24” bar less than $740 del.
365 Special PHO $500 delivered
346XP 18” bar $535-ish local dealer
fully adjustable carbs, no electronics. Saws prices must be out of site.

After running 20 different stihl and husqvarna saws i have been using the newer stihl 400 the most with a 20" light bar, handles great, not too heavy (572xp is heavier and it feels just a tad heavier than the 550xp Mk2) so that is my vote but pick up some saws and test them out. when cold, mine burps ats in 4 pulls every time, wish it was 3 pulls, but oh well, each saw is differnent. never any issues with one pull when hot and don't need to mess with any choke lever to restart. Granted i was a big fan of the original stihl 440 10mm and this one is the closest i've found in weight and power but much less vibes. If i was on a budget i'd prob get the Echo timberwolf or used Makita 6421 from home depot.

I have 6 saws, all pro grade, from 45cc to 93cc and I don't have $1200 in them combined.

If you're felling trees that are in the 25" range, I'd recommend a pro grade 60cc saw from any of the name brands like Stihl, Husqvarna, Jared, dolmar, echo, ect. The reason I'd go with a pro grade is to keep the weight down. I'd also look for a used 45 to 50cc pro saw for limbing to keep the weight down there also. I know you don't want to used, but you need 2 saws. You're going to get one pinched at some point, and you'll need the second. Good pro grade saws are durable and repairable. Good homeowner grade equipment is repairable, but many people won't bother, and they are a riskier buy on the used market.

I reckon I missed the whole theme here. BEST under $1,200, not best value for intended use. Certainly the high dollar pro saws are the "Best". Most appropriate is debatable but not the OP's question. I'll withdraw my thought on the Echo CS-590 as it clearly doesn't meet the criteria.
You did not miss it, I not being a timber man, did not think anyone would bring the big saws in, but that was because I set the budget to high.
I set it high in hopes that I would not miss a good saw, but 25 inch bar is bigger than anything I ever used & we cut up a 48 inch radius tree in the swamp. It was beside the road for many year, we cut for three days, two saws & three loaders to get it out of the way.
We used a 20 inch bar and large bow saw, with a back up bow saw.
I know so little about big saws, that why I ask for Your Opinion, think got the thing straight now.
Thanks for the insight.

I'd go with an Echo 50 or 60 cc saw and keep the change. I have three Echo saws, about 35, 15 and 5 years old. All work very hard for some time and they sit around for a long time. All still work very well. Stihls are things of beauty, to be sure, and Husqvarna pro level saws are very nice, but for what I do, cutting and splitting firewood for personal use, the Echos will outlive me.

I'd go with an Echo 50 or 60 cc saw and keep the change. I have three Echo saws, about 35, 15 and 5 years old. All work very hard for some time and they sit around for a long time. All still work very well. Stihls are things of beauty, to be sure, and Husqvarna pro level saws are very nice, but for what I do, cutting and splitting firewood for personal use, the Echos will outlive me.
At 62, my new saw will out live me, 1) I will not wear it out. 2) my trees are not so big.

So go buy a new Stihl Pro series saw it should last you a long time.
I bought stihl saws my whole life had a 661c shear a crank at 3 months 1 day put around 60 gallon of gas through it and sthil said I’m a logger and I should be able to buy a new saw every 3 months at 1300$ a rip needless to say I have not nor ever will buy another again so I wouldn’t recommend stihl.

I bought stihl saws my whole life had a 661c shear a crank at 3 months 1 day put around 60 gallon of gas through it and sthil said I’m a logger and I should be able to buy a new saw every 3 months at 1300$ a rip needless to say I have not nor ever will buy another again so I wouldn’t recommend stihl.
60 gallons of gas?

That sucks!

All of the saw makers have a dud leave their factory from time to time. I recently purchased a Husqvarna 550XP M2 that fortunately identified itself as a dud right away, and they replaced it with a great one. RE 661’s - my non-mtronic 661 has been virtually flawless, and I believe the 661CM tends to run lean as a general rule. A man line yourself, as a production logger, could easily put one of these on full tilt.

What saws are you running now as an alternative?

I've got a good size collection of saws as of most of us on the forum, I buy all my saws used for 1/2 the original price or less.

The two I grab 95% of the time are the Mac 10-10A & MS261.

I've put countless hard hours on these two machines and they've held up great, just keep the chain sharp and maintained.

Also good power (especially when modified) and lightweight.

Hope this helps,

Mad3400

You are in timber country, this is what the used market looks like here.

"Saws have been stored and needs a little work. Mccollough 160 has a 16 inch bar $125 ,Sears 358 has a 18 inch bar $150. Both $250"

Poulan 2150 Super Clean Chainsaw 16" with Chainsaw Case Been inside in the closet for years.. was working when I parked it.. I am a lady and used to have a farm..I did not use this but a couple times and injured my back.. It is super clean. You will need to put the fluids back in it and tune it up to crank.. But, I know it will give someone good service.. Emptying the nest.. It needs to go.. no gimmicks no codes.. give me a call or text and come get it.. $75 CASH

Stihl 031AV chainsaw great running saw has lots of power. Does not include bar and chain. I ran this with a 20 inch bar and it cut great.

Have an 18" Ryobi chainsaw for sale. It's essentially brand new with the cas, instructions, and tool, but I did run it one time to make sure it cuts good. The pictures will show the condition of it. It sells new for $219, but I'll take $110 for it, firm. I'm about one mile from the Irmo boat ramp at Lake Murray. Thanks for looking.

Like new Craftsman S160 16" chainsaw, used for small job no longer need. Chain is very sharp. Can meet you in Blythewood SC. Email me via REPLY button. $160 of best offer.

18" chainsaw, 42cc, runs but needs a little work - probably carburetor - original owner - case included

Poulan 260 Pro Chainsaw - $55​

Poulan 14" 33cc Chainsaw - $69 (WEST COLUMBIA) Pawn​

Poulan P3816 16" Chainsaw - $89 (WEST COLUMBIA) pawn shop​

You are in timber country, this is what the used market looks like here.

"Saws have been stored and needs a little work. Mccollough 160 has a 16 inch bar $125 ,Sears 358 has a 18 inch bar $150. Both $250"

Poulan 2150 Super Clean Chainsaw 16" with Chainsaw Case Been inside in the closet for years.. was working when I parked it.. I am a lady and used to have a farm..I did not use this but a couple times and injured my back.. It is super clean. You will need to put the fluids back in it and tune it up to crank.. But, I know it will give someone good service.. Emptying the nest.. It needs to go.. no gimmicks no codes.. give me a call or text and come get it.. $75 CASH

Stihl 031AV chainsaw great running saw has lots of power. Does not include bar and chain. I ran this with a 20 inch bar and it cut great.

Have an 18" Ryobi chainsaw for sale. It's essentially brand new with the cas, instructions, and tool, but I did run it one time to make sure it cuts good. The pictures will show the condition of it. It sells new for $219, but I'll take $110 for it, firm. I'm about one mile from the Irmo boat ramp at Lake Murray. Thanks for looking.

Like new Craftsman S160 16" chainsaw, used for small job no longer need. Chain is very sharp. Can meet you in Blythewood SC. Email me via REPLY button. $160 of best offer.

18" chainsaw, 42cc, runs but needs a little work - probably carburetor - original owner - case included

Poulan 260 Pro Chainsaw - $55​

Poulan 14" 33cc Chainsaw - $69 (WEST COLUMBIA) Pawn​

Poulan P3816 16" Chainsaw - $89 (WEST COLUMBIA) pawn shop​

If your in Columbia I'm right above you in Fair field county. If you want a decent used saw let me know.
None of the saws you listed would be on my list ,right there.

After reading all the other posts I’d say the site has gotten to you and you don’t need a pro saw or need to spend $1200 honestly. A 25” bar will take down a seriously large tree and it doesn’t sound like you need that. I just ran my ported 261 and my 462 yesterday. They make me smile every time, sounds like you can get away with a 50cc saw. Maybe a 60cc if you want some more power and weight. Have you looked at an echo 501p? That’s a light pro 50cc that will pull a 20 if needed. Otherwise a cs590 echo will pull more but they’re heavy and not a pro saw. I ran a 590 with a 20 for 3 years, it worked great. I sold it and got almost all my money back out of it after buying my 462. The 462 cost a lot more but is lighter than the 590 and has way more power. I knew I wouldn’t pick it up again after running that 462 though. I’d really think about what you need and really want to spend. At 62 I’d want a lighter setup. The 501p will be the cheapest light weight saw new but a ms400/462 are the lightest for more power but cost way more than the 50cc echo. Ask yourself what you really need. Again I’d buy the 462 again in a heartbeat!

I've been felling, limbing, and bucking dead ash with my MS261c and absolutely love it. Just got a ms400c and it's simply amazing. Both would suit your needs. The 261 would be right at home with a 16-18" bar and max of 20, while the 400, would run a 24" from time to time with authority. The 3/8" chain stays sharp a bit longer than .325 so it's a little nicer in that regard. That's my only complaint is I feel I'm touching up the chain every tank of fuel on my 261, but that could also be my lack of sharpening skills too.

Latest posts

Back