Best Chain saw for under $1200.00 to buy for cutting trees once a month or so, not every week?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on that great deal of a log splitter- awesome deal!

Unfortunately, that Sportsman chainsaw is a 100 percent Chinese company's product and has nothing to do with Makita- whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about.

Get yourself an Echo 620p in 20 inch and be a happy camper for the rest of your days as long as you maintain it properly.
Google told me & Makita has plants all over the world including USA & China, so we both could be right.

Where are Makita chainsaws made?​

Makita is based in Anjō, Japan but also operates factories in Brazil, China, Mexico, Romania, the United Kingdom, Germany, Dubai, Rwanda, and the United States. Makita acquired Dolmar in 1991 and also has a factory for chainsaws in Hamburg, Germany.
Like banks & oil companies, there are only about four or five chainsaw companies, the rest is branding of old companies.
Echo, Jonsered & Poulin are owned by someone else.

Google told me & Makita has plants all over the world including USA & China, so we both could be right.

Where are Makita chainsaws made?​

Makita is based in Anjō, Japan but also operates factories in Brazil, China, Mexico, Romania, the United Kingdom, Germany, Dubai, Rwanda, and the United States. Makita acquired Dolmar in 1991 and also has a factory for chainsaws in Hamburg, Germany.
Like banks & oil companies, there are only about four or five chainsaw companies, the rest is branding of old companies.
Echo, Jonsered & Poulin are owned by someone else.
Pay attention because this is important- the largest, bolded text in your reply above is "WHERE are Makita chainsaws made", and not "Who makes Sportsman chainsaws"... In this case, if Google told you, Google is wrong about Sportsman having any connection to Makita.

In addition, Makita announced in 2021 they were quitting the gas powered tool business- which they've done.

Also, China alone has more than 4-5 Chinese companies making cheap chainsaws under all sorts of random ,generic, western sounding brands.

Much of the stuff on the 'net is flat out factually wrong.

Pay attention because this is important- the largest, bolded text in your reply above is "WHERE are Makita chainsaws made", and not "Who makes Sportsman chainsaws"... In this case, if Google told you, Google is wrong about Sportsman having any connection to Makita.

In addition, Makita announced in 2021 they were quitting the gas powered tool business- which they've done.

Also, China alone has more than 4-5 Chinese companies making cheap chainsaws under all sorts of random ,generic, western sounding brands.

Much of the stuff on the 'net is flat out factually wrong.
If the net is wrong how do you know all this, are you from China?
Also many saw brands we grew up with have been bought out & there are only a few USA saw companies & I do not care if China has one or twenty factories. Many of the name brand saw companies have saw made in China.

I got lucky and got a Stihl MS500i new for $1180 in 2021. I just cut about b6 cords of firewood per year, so I am similar to you. But I like the power. Sure, I could get the job done with a smaller saw. But it is more fun and less fatiguing this way. I use a 20" bar normally, with a 25" bar rarely. I can't really lift chunks bigger than those bars can handle.
Since a 20" bar will handle well over 30", I'd be surprised if any of us could lift one :)

Last post AUG.12
I still want a good high power long lasting chainsaw, BUT I found a log splitter(26tons) used two seasons for $1000.00.
I bought it, so no money for a big saw before Christmas.
I found a Sportsman series 20 inch limb saw for $106.00 on black Friday at Tractor Supply Company.
It is made by Makita, which has plants all over the world, home base is Japan.
So I guess that it until I pay property taxes first of the year, then look at better saws.
Thanks for your in put, I learned a lot from you.
View attachment 1036484
In my area, used log splitters of that size can normally be found for around $500 so long as you're not in a hurry to get one and not picky about the brand. I gave $475 for my 26 ton splitter 3 years ago. Should have bought one a decade or two sooner...

Also many saw brands we grew up with have been bought out & there are only a few USA saw companies & I do not care if China has one or twenty factories. Many of the name brand saw companies have saw made in China.
He's a troll, challeng him too much and you'll end up on his ignore list.

The convo between you and I was NEVER about WHERE a saw was made- it is about you getting bad info on the 'net about a Chinese company's chainsaw being mistaken for a Makita product. My goal was only to inform you of the facts and nothing else, so there's simply no reason for you to get defensive. Enjoy your day.

The convo between you and I was NEVER about WHERE a saw was made- it is about you getting bad info on the 'net about a Chinese company's chainsaw being mistaken for a Makita product. My goal was only to inform you of the facts and nothing else, so there's simply no reason for you to get defensive. Enjoy your day.
Not defensive, still no facts, just what your opinion.
This is the USA, we all have a right to voice our opinion.

Since a 20" bar will handle well over 30", I'd be surprised if any of us could lift one :)
I have a 28 year old son, who will do the lifting or (bragging again) I can roll it into my L4701 Kubota Front loader bucket to move it. My sportsmen saw is to take down small trees under 24 inches, it will be a limbing saw when I get the bigger 260 or 365, 500 to big for me. I will post what I get, so all you real timber men can tell me what I did wrong & why. :)

In my area, used log splitters of that size can normally be found for around $500 so long as you're not in a hurry to get one and not picky about the brand. I gave $475 for my 26 ton splitter 3 years ago. Should have bought one a decade or two sooner...
To be fair, I did not shop around, I know & trust this guy, so I just bought it.
Glad you can get a better deal, I would have guessed that thing would be higher north of S.C.
It maybe that your county has more used splitters, supply & demand.
But what do I know this is my first one, at sixty I was still using an ax to split wood, if my son use it for ten year it will be worth it.

True. But I prefer to cut rounds no wider in diameter than the full usable bar length from one side, which would be about 2" shorter than the nominal bar length. 18" is still pretty darned heavy. I recently cut some 23" green hickory; I just used my tractor bucket for that one. I don't need a herniated disc.

True. But I prefer to cut rounds no wider in diameter than the full usable bar length from one side, which would be about 2" shorter than the nominal bar length. 18" is still pretty darned heavy. I recently cut some 23" green hickory; I just used my tractor bucket for that one. I don't need a herniated disc.
Hickory is a dense wood, lumber or BBQ with it?

Hickory is a dense wood, lumber or BBQ with it?
Firewood. We sometimes use a few fallen branches on a grill. We don't make real barbecue, which ideally smokes for 10 or more hours. But a bit of smoke flavor works for hamburgers, steak or grilled chicken.

Is Buffalo a Japanese company?

The Japanese company is recognised as the Number 1 total PC peripheral manufacturer in their home country. Headquartered in Japan, BUFFALO has offices in The Netherlands, Ireland, USA and Taiwan.

Is Makita discontinuing gas chainsaws?
Makita, a major power tool company, will discontinue the production of engine products such as engine mowers, engine chainsaws, and other engine products for garden equipment at the end of March 2022.

Went & got the 26 ton with the 6.5 horse OHV engine Splitter.
I told him that at least one person thought I paid to much for a five year old splitter that was used two season, but I think I got a good deal.
He replied that it was only four years old & he split one truck load the first year & a half load the second year.
It fire up the pull & sounds good.

Went & got the 26 ton with the 6.5 horse OHV engine Splitter.
I told him that at least one person thought I paid to much for a five year old splitter that was used two season, but I think I got a good deal.
He replied that it was only four years old & he split one truck load the first year & a half load the second year.
It fire up the pull & sounds good.
If you're happy it's a good deal.

Latest posts

Back