BEST CHIPPER?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering what you all thought was the best chipper out there and why. What have been you expiriences good or bad?

I've owned a drum and rented various disc chippers. For 98% of my market and use, I'd replace the drum with another drum. The discs were too expensive to operate and too much time was needed to maintain them. I have no trouble here getting rid of the 3-4" plus material for firewood here. Mine was an Asplundh, but I'm sure others would be just as reasonable, and maybe more cost effective. Gotta have a diesel though. My 3 cents, exchange rate applied.

chippers

Buy a Bandit or another type of disc self feeding chipper. We use Bandit exclusively. Their chippers are about as safe as they come and Bandit as a company is really on top of the industry as far as new inovations and manufacturing safe, reliable and practical equipment. As deere john posted, get a diesel....preferably turbo. It'll eat 12" wood and laugh for more. Make sure you have a 10+ cu yd box for it also

I personally feel there are reasons for disc and drum chippers. If you feel like you get a lot of "crotches" in your tree, I would go with the drum it draws it in much better. The disc is quicker chipping and a good choice if your unsure. I also feel Morbark is a better chipper. It has a thicker disc, thick metal frame, and just a better contruction.

I rented a Morbark 11" disc chipper powered by a John Deere diesel engine a few years ago. I had used them before, but not on a project where we moved it with a D-7 tractor and used all of its capacity. We were chipping maple/hemlock and yellow birch - right up to the max the machine would take. I agree that it is a well-built machine - and the chassis is high enough to allow it to be moved off road without tearing off fenders and pulling directly on the axle against a stump ( well, not too often, anyway, but that's another story). I've used a six-cyl gas model, as well as another morbark powered with the 3.9 Cummins diesel. At the end of a week, I had more money in my pocket from fuel savings with the diesels verses the gas model than 1 day's rental would cost on any of them.

To get away with the off road work, spec yours with a pintle ring, or be prepared to buy a new coupler.

There are almost as many chippers as there are applications. If you specialize in tree work and need the best, I would choose between Morbark and Vermeer self-feeding. I could fill 2 pages with good and bad of drum vs. disc. At Davey Tree, we used Brush Bandit and Vermeer 12" disc. The Brush Bandits suck, they vibrated apart and we were welding patches on them within 6 months of purchase. I have always liked the Morbark drum, self-feeding, but limited access here. No dealers nearby, and a good dealer is more important than the brand. Vermeers are tough, but harder on the ground crew with the higher, longer feed table. My crew at Davey loved the Bandits if they were running that day, but the Vermeers always ran. As foreman I took the Vermeer so I would get done on time without breakdowns.

Upon further observation, I have changed my opinion of the best chipper.

My dog, Flash, a basset hound, can 'chip' his way through pizza crusts with amazement. He's automatic too - just present crust into the infeed (watch your fingers do not pass beyond the metering apparatus!) and, poof, all gone. Chip residue is automatically hauled to the back yard too. :jester:

John you're nuts.:D In a good way. I wanted to let you know I tried out a Morbark 2100D last week. It is the best machine I have ever used. Took everything in without bogging down. Upon John's recommendation I will try out my 1995 Lab Mix next week. I am sure she will be a good chipper. Plus dog food is cheaper than chipper fuel.:dizzy:

Last edited:
:eek: Aww - yur only sayin' that cuz you know my last name.:p

That new Morbark was a diesel? Sorry, I haven't kept up with the newer models. I saw a line clearing crew feeting treelength balsam fir (about 10" butt) into a Vermeer the other day. The way they were fighting to get it in, I wondered how long it would be before someone would either get a back sprain, whacked by the top on the way in or slip and fall as they worked on a 20% slope. I sure did not look like fun. A few minutes with the saw can sure save a lot of energy draining work.

Back