Best Disc Chipper For Rent?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kflann06

Reaction score
I need to produce chips from whole logs that are between 8 mm and 15 mm (0.3 -0.6 inches) for a fuel application. The logs will be up to 12" diameter and will be stripped of limbs. Minimizing the amount of fines and oversized material in the final chip pile is desirable without additional screening or sieving (if possible!).

Research indicates that disc chippers produce smaller chips (8-15 mm) and more consistent chips (less fines, less oversized materials). Does anyone have recommendations on the best chipper for this application?

If I'm not able to meet my ideal spec for the wood chips, what is the best disc style wood chipper that I could rent? I would like to try it out and compare the chips to a drum chipper.

Thank you!

The silence was deafening so I’ll chime in. Have owned several chippers diesel and gas. All disk. On all of them the slower the feed rate the smaller the chip. A Gravely 395 gave the smallest chips, but hasn’t been made for decades. It’s also a 9” machine. Keep in mind that a 12” chipper is not real happy with 12” logs. I think I know where your going with this and have given it some thought myself. Curious what your thoughts are

Rental machines in my area are limited to 12", but as mentioned above it will not process 12" logs.
Especially hardwood.

You may find rental machines on Facebook marketplace, available from a tree service looking to make side $$.

For 12" logs I would be looking for one that will process 18" logs, but that size will be expensive to rent and hard to find.

The chip qualities will depend on the specie, moisture content, log size and machine condition.

Back