Best firewood handling gloves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Tactile feel for some work is necessary and requires softer and better fitting gloves with the tradeoff usually being longevity. I have found that I can take some of the more durable "low tactile" leather gloves and soften them to give a better feel if needed. The way I soften them is to pour motor oil into the palms of the glove and then act like you are washing your hands when wearing both gloves. The "mineral / motor oil does not dry out and keeps the leather flexible and supple. That is the secret.
Add more if necessary and after a while the gloves will stretch to form fit your hands for an even better fit-feel. And one more thing, unless you are in a fashion contest dont ever think your left glove must match your right glove. If one glove tears or wears out and the other is good, keep the good one. When you go to work all you need is a right one and a left one. There is no need for them to match. BTW the motor oil treatment is also the trick for leather boots. Take an old paint brush and paint your work boots periodically to make them soft and flexible prevent the leather from ever drying and cracking. It also helps with waterproofing the leather. Transmission gear oil works as well.... maybe better, but has a much stronger odor so beware.

I wear mechanics gloves when it’s really cold outside. Otherwise no gloves. Your hands get used to it. But my wife won’t hardly let me touch her so there’s that.
I’ve never been a glove fan though. I have big hands and always felt like the gloves restricted movement and made my hand and finger muscles sore.
I had some deer skin gloves one time a friend made for me as a gift. He tanned it and all. Custom fit to my hands. I couldn’t make myself work in them though and used them for years for general cold weather like a sports event or atv riding in cold. If a guy could get a leather worker to make him a bunch of gloves I’d bet it’s worth it.

I am hard on leather gloves, and never had a pair at any price last more than a month before the left glove wore holes in it.

P1040749.JPG

For a while, I'd throw the right hand glove on a shelf, then when I wore out the left thumb on another pair, I'd turn one of the right hand gloves inside out and have a "fresh" pair for a while.

restored pair.JPG

Finally, I switched to Atlas Nitrile gloves for 90% of my sawing, splitting, stacking, rigging, even driving. When it gets cold, like low teens and below, I switch to a Bellingham glove. I don't like their bulkiness, but I appreciate their warmth.

IMG_9248.JPG

These don't last forever either, but they last longer for me than the leathers. And, as mentioned by others, "Best Glove" is a personal preference. I have decades experience learning what works best for me - but, it might not work for anyone else.

I am hard on leather gloves, and never had a pair at any price last more than a month before the left glove wore holes in it.

View attachment 983140

For a while, I'd throw the right hand glove on a shelf, then when I wore out the left thumb on another pair, I'd turn one of the right hand gloves inside out and have a "fresh" pair for a while.

View attachment 983141

Finally, I switched to Atlas Nitrile gloves for 90% of my sawing, splitting, stacking, rigging, even driving. When it gets cold, like low teens and below, I switch to a Bellingham glove. I don't like their bulkiness, but I appreciate their warmth.

View attachment 983139

These don't last forever either, but they last longer for me than the leathers. And, as mentioned by others, "Best Glove" is a personal preference. I have decades experience learning what works best for me - but, it might not work for anyone else.

Those Bellingham gloves appear to be the same gloves as the Atlas gloves sold on Amazon. Very durable compared to leather and when they do wear out they are only about $3. a pair when you buy them by the dozen.

Latest posts

Back