Best Husky or Echo for $600

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation for a new saw in the $600 range. My 14-year-old Husky 359 conked out a couple weeks ago. The shop says it needs a new carburetor and with its age and any other unknowns, I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and get a new saw.
The local dealer has taken good care of me over the years although they were a little slow in getting back to me this time, but I'm cutting everyone some slack due to all the ******** with Covid. They are just 5 miles away (I'll need them again, sooner or later) and I bought my Kubota and attachments, leaf blower, and Husky from them. I'm leaning toward another Husky but the dealer does sell Echo too. If you had 600 bucks to burn on one of these two brands, what would you get? Thanks!

Echo CS620 or the older cs680.

The Husqvarna 555 would be the direct replacement for your 359, they can be had for right around $600

I personally would fix the 359 and have it as back up, and add a newer saw to beat to use for most work. The carb on the 359 is incredibly easy to replace, add new fuel lines, fuel filter and you will likely have a saw thay will last a long time yet.

Couple times a year HL does a sale on the other site 562xp $570 TYD. Still gotta source a cutting attachment but if you're ingenuitve you can be very close to your number. That's a sore pecker deal on the hottest 60cc on the market!
Holy buckets that's cheap!! The 562 in my area is $859.99.... 24 B&C but still that's steep.

I don't think Husky makes a saw that can touch that echo for 600 bucks... You would have to spend close to 750 bucks and up for a Husky to get the performance and quality as the 620 IMHO.
From your signature, it looks like you have a nice collection of different brands and plenty of Huskies. I will check out that model. I probably won't be cutting anything any bigger than 16-18 inches, at least now that the ash are gone.

From your signature, it looks like you have a nice collection of different brands and plenty of Huskies. I will check out that model. I probably won't be cutting anything any bigger than 16-18 inches, at least now that the ash are gone.
I've said before to many that if I was told I could only have one saw I would most likely keep the 620 over many others.

I would go with a good 50cc saw if that's the size of wood your cutting, lot less weight to carry around. Stihl 261 would be my #1 pick there, but the new 550xp MKII is pretty nice now.

I am on vacation next week and I will be on a major scramble to get my firewood in. I'm usually way ahead of it but I couldn't get out in the woods much this past winter in 3 feet of snow. I do have trees down which are dead and some standing dead trees as well, so I should have plenty of "seasoned" firewood once I find the time to get it split and stacked. I do plan to buy a new saw and maybe the old 359 will be a winter project. I can change the carb and whatnot…

Hmmmm... Another thought---I have a small collection of bars and chains for the 359. Wondering if they would be compatible with a NEW Husky. I think the 359 was more of a consumer version of the 357XP?

I second the CS-590 or CS-620.
I bought the 620 and love it so far, but looked at the 590 and almost bought that, but not in stock anywhere near here.
620 has upgrades to the 590, so lots of similarities. Price difference is $400 vs. $579.

Hmmmm... Another thought---I have a small collection of bars and chains for the 359. Wondering if they would be compatible with a NEW Husky. I think the 359 was more of a consumer version the 359.
The bars would fit a 555 but not a 562. The chains would work on a large mount(562) bar as long as you paid attention to drive link count, but 18" and 20" Husky large and small mount are generally the same.

Hmmmm... Another thought---I have a small collection of bars and chains for the 359. Wondering if they would be compatible with a NEW Husky. I think the 359 was more of a consumer version of the 357XP?

Correct the 359 was a slightly detuned 357, though many prefer the flatter torque curve of the 359. The 359 uses the K095 bar mount which is the small mount, so it would fit saws like the 550 and 555, but not the 562xp or other larger saws like the 572xp. You'd also have to make sure to run the same pitch of chain which is likely 3/8 on the 359, the 550xp is usually set up with .325 which is what I like on 50cc saws, but you can definitely run 3/8 on a 550 is you want.

You'd also have to make sure to run the same pitch of chain which is likely 3/8 on the 359, the 550xp is usually set up with .325 which is what I like on 50cc saws, but you can definitely run 3/8 on a 550 is you want.
As far as I know, I've run nothing but 3/8" (.375) chains and I have .325 on my Husky 340, which really seems to fly through the smaller stuff where horsepower isn't a big factor.
Fun to shop and thanks for all the info everyone!

Back