Best hydraulic oil to use in bucket truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Case HyTran was the best on the market, period. It’s not on the market anymore, which is a letdown. I’m now on Schaeffer’s ISO 32 or 46 and not having problems. I have a couple buckets of Cat Hydo and it seems to work pretty well. Several of my friends use JD HyGard and it’s not giving them problems, one of them tells me it’s the best on the market now. What I do know is the price JD wants for the stuff, like the rest of their parts, is a little rich for my blood, and I get a lot of stuff from Cat. I don’t know about the stuff that’s on Tractor Supply’s shelf.

Mixing hydraulic oils has never given me problems. I’ve lost hoses and then bled the air with whatever I had in the truck and topped the tank off. I know JD says not to mix oils or use anything but HyGard. Cat says to use Hydo (for component wear and longer oil life, but doesn’t strictly say to use only Cat oil), and Case recommends using their oil. Just stick with the weight/spec for your machine.

In short, I would go with a name brand oil and not worry about it. Keep clean oil, filters and check levels regularly. On a big system oil sampling is awesome. Best practice is repairing leaks, then you won’t have to mix oils topping off.

aw32 works down to cold.
good price!
it works well in most lifts that are under 5000 lbs lifting capacity.

the bigger machines they use the aw46 but they have to use heaters on the hyd tanks for winter
or below 32 deg f.

aw32 works down to cold.
good price!
it works well in most lifts that are under 5000 lbs lifting capacity.

the bigger machines they use the aw46 but they have to use heaters on the hyd tanks for winter
or below 32 deg f.
A 2012 bucket truck weighs 26,000 thousand and max height is 75 feet what kind of hydraulic oil should I use has a leak too

Aerial lifts that are insulated for working around High Voltage power lines use a non-conductive hydraulic oil, you aren't supposed to throw anything in it. If you don't have the book that came with it, to look up the correct oil, call the manufacturer.
I have never heard of non-conductive oil. I learned something today!!

I know there have been complaints onTractor Supply having water in theirs by storing it outside and Orielly‘s had a class action lawsuit against them. But, I’ve used both.
I will never use Tractor Supply again.

Whatever it says in the manual.

If you don't care about the high voltage isolation (non-conductive), pretty much anything of the correct weight (32 or 46) will do. I run Sinopec AW46 in our Terex 45-foot digger derrick; not because it's particularly good or bad, but because we inherited a 55-gallon drum of it from a neighbor.

If you want to do your hydraulic system a favor, replace the filter regularly. That's probably more important than the fine details of which oil to use.

Latest posts

Back