Best light weight saw for limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only one saw then you don't need a race horse. Get a good priced, easy to work on and to get parts for, 50cc saw. Light enough to limb and good for felling. Get a brand new 026/260 that is easier to start, is less temperamental than other 50cc saws, and will last a lifetime. It's called an Echo 501p or an Echo 4910. Pull cord, repeat, and smile while the wood chips fly
Looking real hard at the 4910 as well!

Well I’m finally going to try this little booger out this week! Fingers crossed we may finally have a resolve to this thread! 😂
Carbed 201? I've got the 201tcm...a little bit of work on it and the attitude of the saw completely changed. I know these early 201s liked a muffler mod and timing advance, even if you don't do anything else. I don't have a love affair with 200ts after modding the 201.

https://www.forestry.com/editorial/husqvarna-540-xp-mark-iii-challenges-the-stihl-ms-201/

To get one, I will have to wait until the first quarter of 2023 when it will hit the market

Wonder what sort of sprockets they will offer it with. The 339xp came with a small spline. I note at minute 4:51 sure looks like a narrow kerf chain and bar set up. Would not to be the best limbing saw like the title here suggests some bar and chain combination that makes a significantly wider kerf than the bar be called for?

Carbed 201? I've got the 201tcm...a little bit of work on it and the attitude of the saw completely changed. I know these early 201s liked a muffler mod and timing advance, even if you don't do anything else. I don't have a love affair with 200ts after modding the 201.
8A5A56D1-08AE-4F87-8421-5BE955B14C94.jpeg
Well this saw is newer than one he originally sent photos of! I’m ok with that doesn’t have many hours on it, and still for same price! So how do I know if it’s an m-tronic or not?

Oh ok, I was wondering if that might be it.
Id always prefer a carb - because I can adjust it myself, but my MS241cm is quite impressive - thr only saw I have that actually runs with the choke on.
A 201 top handle would be my first choice if I had the money - for your needs. Ah.. the guys with bigger more heavier guns don't know what pleasure and man power efficiancy they are missin...

Id always prefer a carb - because I can adjust it myself, but my MS241cm is quite impressive - thr only saw I have that actually runs with the choke on.
A 201 top handle would be my first choice if I had the money - for your needs. Ah.. the guys with bigger more heavier guns don't know what pleasure and man power efficiancy they are missin...
Link, I can’t really beat the price $300 for a low hour saw it’s in excellent shape. I’m definitely getting the friends discount Lol.

Well old man winter finally hit this part of Ohio with a couple days below zero temps, so I didn’t attempt to try out the 201 until today. This thing fired up on first pull and absolutely runs like a champ! Had a couple limbs that were beginning to encroach on neighbors property 2” diameter(I know not super challenging). Super impressed with the throttle response and power of this little saw. I think I found it guys thank you all so much for your help and advice. Looked up the SN seems to be a 2017.

Well got the first real test for the 201t today, uprooted ash. Sadly it was a healthy one. Lots of limbing and small to medium diameter wood to cut. This little machine performed flawlessly super impressed with it. Pulled the 310 out to stretch it’s legs for the bigger stuff.

Latest posts

Back