Best light weight saw for limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 3/4 of a 200t here, waiting on some parts to finish it. It's fairly light. Replacing the ms192tc when it's done. Never impressed with the 192tc power, or lack of it. Has its hands full with a 14" bar in hardwoods. Works ok in soft woods. It is very light, but the lack of power, and being a top handle keeps me from using it when I'm not in a tree. Which I don't climb much anymore.
Anyway, ms261 with 18" bar, you gonna be around 12.5 lbs with fuel, I prefer a 16" with isn't much weight difference. The 241 weighs about 1/2 lb less then the 261 14" bar, with fuel your going to be within a lb of each other. Swap the 14" on the 261 and your back to a moot point within 1/2 pound of each other.
If you can make the 261 more lightweight and nimble than the 241 with a 14" bar or less I would be interested.
I do have powerful saws on my shelf... a lot more powerful than a 261, so I would be interested in something else.

I still think the MS200/201 is the answer to this thread topic though.
I'd prefer a top handle because I can use my left hand to support the wood if needed.
From a safety point of view I would prefer the rear handle version.

If you can make the 261 more lightweight and nimble than the 241 with a 14" bar or less I would be interested.
I do have powerful saws on my shelf... a lot more powerful than a 261, so I would be interested in something else.
I really don't understand your make the 261 lighter. It's less then a 1/2lb heavier then the 241, and has a full hp more. Can run a 14" bar with no issue. Guess we just have different feel for running saws. I'm no fan of the under 60cc saws to begin with for the same reasons I wouldn't take the 241 over a 261. Barely anymore weight. We'll chalk it up to different running styles or possibly a large age gap and you notice small weight differences more the I do.

I really don't understand your make the 261 lighter. It's less then a 1/2lb heavier then the 241, and has a full hp more. Can run a 14" bar with no issue. Guess we just have different feel for running saws. I'm no fan of the under 60cc saws to begin with for the same reasons I wouldn't take the 241 over a 261. Barely anymore weight. We'll chalk it up to different running styles or possibly a large age gap and you notice small weight differences more the I do.
Its boxy and more clumsy than a 241. The 241 is a great limbing saw.

what is the best chainsaw for someone who only has one? :)
Only one saw then you don't need a race horse. Get a good priced, easy to work on and to get parts for, 50cc saw. Light enough to limb and good for felling. Get a brand new 026/260 that is easier to start, is less temperamental than other 50cc saws, and will last a lifetime. It's called an Echo 501p or an Echo 4910. Pull cord, repeat, and smile while the wood chips fly

Latest posts

Back