Best light weight saw for limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, a MS260 at 10.5lbs/3.5hp is more comparable to the MS241 really than the MS261.

A “lite” bar and more power would make it quite competitive really except to those niche folks doing the tiny branches. Really a smaller saw than the 241 would work for that though.

... Really a smaller saw than the 241 would work for that though.
Pretty soon this "Best Lightweight Saw For Limbing" thead is going to start focusing on the merits of the MS200 and MS201 rear-handle saws....
Which IMHO are the best light weight limbing saws available.
Growing up in Adirondack mountains in upstate NY, we lived in a house in the woods, off the grid (we had generators for lights and pumping well water) and gathered hardwood for some heating as well as logs for timber which we had cut at a local saw mill. My father, brother and I had a choice of several saws in the Jeep including some early Macs and some prehistoric Homelite monsters that I vaguely remember. The saws that we fought over were the Stihl 020 and 011 with 16" bars. With the light weight and 16" bar with picco chain you could work a long time with these saws without being tired, had plenty of reach and power and could handle most limbing jobs we encountered. We learned that dragging a heavier saw than necessary around in the woods was not worth it. The bigger saws seemed only to be used when the tree was too large for the 16" bars. The largest trees were skidded out in timber lengths so most of our sawing was "limbing" or "large-limbing".
Lots of guys I have met have saws that follow the "bigger is better" principle. whereas I am a firm believer in the using the "right tool for you to do the job". Fortunately, each of us can choose what "tool" suits us best, and the job of "limbing" changes from tree to tree... :)

I prefer the stihl 200t over the 201t unless you drill out the limiters on the carb adjustment and open up the muffler. Can use it one handed and had plenty of power to cut 14 inches full chisel chain
Most people do love the 200 T.
Thats why they command such high prices compared to the 201T.

What is your definition of limpbing? A dropped tree or a standing tree? Big difference. I'm not carrying a 260 up a tree on spikes

What is your definition of limpbing? A dropped tree or a standing tree? Big difference. I'm not carrying a 260 up a tree on spikes
For me it will be a downed tree from either storm cleanup or something dead we decided to drop. It’s honestly never ending on our property. We raise cattle so the spring and summer are filled up with crops and cutting hay. So all of the tree work happens late fall into winter for us.

The largest trees were skidded out in timber lengths so most of our sawing was "limbing" or "large-limbing".
How close to a cylinder one makes the timber lengths when doing large-limbing will likely determine how heavy to go on the light limbing saw.

I believe they have races, dowels stuck in a pole to replicate limbing some sort of evergreen tree. Is that bring your own saw or sponsored by a manufacturer providing the saws.

Another vote for the MS241C. I love that little saw, it’s a lot of fun, plenty of power for what I need, and is pretty comfortable to use.
I have some ~50cc saws that I’ll use for limbing too. An 026, an 024 Super, and an 034. The 034 is a bit much sometimes.
If I’ve gotten used to running the 241C for a lot of limbing, that 034 will feel quite heavy when I pick it up.
Before I got the 241C, the 026 was my first choice for limbing. Sometimes it still is, like if I got a mess to get through and want to do some limbing and bucking.

If it’s a lot of little brush that needs to be cut or made a little more “ chipper friendly”, I’ll sometimes use my little MS192TC. Another fun saw.
I don’t worry about myself using a top handle saw on the ground, but I don’t like other people using my top handles on the ground.

I used to own an MS180, and that thing was a hoot to use for limbing work. I’d definitely recommend it to homeowners that need a small saw occasionally.

Before I got my 192tc the 346xp or 026 went up the tree with me. After I got the 192 the 50cc saws got retired and the 562xp would go up if the 192 wasn't up to the task. On the ground unless the 562xp or now ms400 can't handle the task its because they are too small and im jumping to a bigger saw anyway. Whatever saw I fell with does the limbing and bucking once the tree is down.
Different circumstances dictate different operations, but I'm surly not gonna stop and play saw swap just to save 2lbs to limb a tree out.

Pretty soon this "Best Lightweight Saw For Limbing" thead is going to start focusing on the merits of the MS200 and MS201 rear-handle saws....
Which IMHO are the best light weight limbing saws available.
Growing up in Adirondack mountains in upstate NY, we lived in a house in the woods, off the grid (we had generators for lights and pumping well water) and gathered hardwood for some heating as well as logs for timber which we had cut at a local saw mill. My father, brother and I had a choice of several saws in the Jeep including some early Macs and some prehistoric Homelite monsters that I vaguely remember. The saws that we fought over were the Stihl 020 and 011 with 16" bars. With the light weight and 16" bar with picco chain you could work a long time with these saws without being tired, had plenty of reach and power and could handle most limbing jobs we encountered. We learned that dragging a heavier saw than necessary around in the woods was not worth it. The bigger saws seemed only to be used when the tree was too large for the 16" bars. The largest trees were skidded out in timber lengths so most of our sawing was "limbing" or "large-limbing".
Lots of guys I have met have saws that follow the "bigger is better" principle. whereas I am a firm believer in the using the "right tool for you to do the job". Fortunately, each of us can choose what "tool" suits us best, and the job of "limbing" changes from tree to tree... :)
At my age and “mileage”, lighter is better as long as power is adequate.

I have a CS3450 that I just love for this. 7lbs and just enough grunt. With a sharp chain it’s a great saw for most of the things I need that exclude bucking logs.

At my age and “mileage”, lighter is better as long as power is adequate.

I have a CS3450 that I just love for this. 7lbs and just enough grunt. With a sharp chain it’s a great saw for most of the things I need that exclude bucking logs.
I hear you on lighter is better.

I prefer the stihl 200t over the 201t unless you drill out the limiters on the carb adjustment and open up the muffler. Can use it one handed and had plenty of power to cut 14 inches full chisel chain

The mtronic 201 is ahead of all of them in many ways.

I would pay up to 250 for one if it was in really nice shape. a older 026 would be my first choice at the same price.

after that price u can get a brand new holzfforma g260 (exact china copy) for $250 so I wouldn't go any higher.
So still being fairly new in here maybe it’s an off limits topic… I’ll ask anyway 😂 what’s everyone’s opinion on the Holtzforma clone saws?

Back