Best light weight saw for limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a Stihl guy, but even the Huskie guys will tell you the 026/260 is a really good saw in the Stihl line. The 025/250 is a good cheap saw for the money, just starts horribly, will pull the rope out of your fingers if you dont pull the crap out of it. Also most have a flooding problem when trying to start hot.

I am a Stihl guy, but even the Huskie guys will tell you the 026/260 is a really good saw in the Stihl line. The 025/250 is a good cheap saw for the money, just starts horribly, will pull the rope out of your fingers if you dont pull the crap out of it. Also most have a flooding problem when trying to start hot.
I'm not brand loyal at all. With that said during the time the 260 was still being sold in it was the turd of the 50cc class and the worst saw in Stihls pro line up.
I can't get that guys have a problem starting a small saw like the 250.

Just curious. How many of you limb with the same saw you do everything else with? Thinking about a 28” light bar on a 500i for a do all saw. If my dealer ever gets one in.

Just curious. How many of you limb with the same saw you do everything else with? Thinking about a 28” light bar on a 500i for a do all saw. If my dealer ever gets one in.
Seems to be 50/50 from what I can tell, if it’s a short job, I would most likely stick with just the one saw. If I’m working all day I’m going to use my lighter saw as much as possible as to not get worn out. Have you checked eBay?

I don't know anything about those saws but if you compare the 025 to a 026; the 025 have the power needed and is lightweight and nimble indeed, the 026 is slightly more powerful and feels pretty much like a boat anchor.
Thats 100% in your head. I've ran both version through all of their versions not including a ms251. The 025 were hard starting, nutless junk, the ms250 has done nothing to improve on that. The ms260 was light years ahead and the 261 is better then the ms260. All weighing less then a half pound difference. Of you want to compare any of them to a 346xp or even a 353 the 025/026/ms250/60 are boat anchors.
Weight of the 025 is listed at 10.14lbs
Weight of the 026 is listed at 10.36lbs

I'm surprised you can even fell the difference
It's all in his head...

I do, doesn't matter if I'm running the 390xp or 400c. The saw stays in my hand till I'm done. That jumping back and forth is for the birds.

I do, doesn't matter if I'm running the 390xp or 400c. The saw stays in my hand till I'm done. That jumping back and forth is for the birds.
I can't believe anyone would do such a thing.
OTOH guys buy too big of a saw for there needs and they are in such poor physical shape that they can't run it for the day. So they flip back and forth.

I can't believe anyone would do such a thing.
OTOH guys buy too big of a saw for there needs and they are in such poor physical shape that they can't run it for the day. So they flip back and forth.
wait til you're on Medicare, and see how a big saw feels all day!

I was limbing with an Ht250 Stihl pole saw today. Basically cut to 12 foot and under long pieces. The tree came out at the roots. It works pretty good for stuff up in the air even though the trunk is basically on the ground. I generally start at the branch end. Getting the branches disposed of could be half a day.

Most of my firewood comes from standing hardwood with a lot of canopy. If I can drive my quad or pickup right up to it, I run different saws. If I'm on foot and packing light I'll stick to 1 saw.

The 025 has the low weight and the power, the 026 has the power.

Back