Best option for 660 milling old oak barn beams

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunt4lumber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an ms660 ported for Milling acquired 6- 11 foot barn beams and I don't want to waste a lot by using 3/8 050 Milling setup I have now

What is my easiest and best option for minimizing kerf Cuts I've looked into a lot of the threads on Pico chain but if someone can point me in the direction of exactly what I need to do to my chainsaw to get everything to match up I'd really appreciate it so that I can maximize each board and not turn so much into wood chips.

Seen some say pmx63? but alot of talk of damaging chain with wrong bar/ drive sprocket setup

I don't want to mess around trying to make something work that is not totally rate I have no problem buying a new sprocket bar and a few PMX chains if that's what it takes

Check with Left Coast Supply. They're a site sponsor and have some products you may be interested in. Do you have a local bandmill? That would save you even more wood.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Seen some say pmx63? but alot of talk of damaging chain with wrong bar/ drive sprocket setup

I don't want to mess around trying to make something work that is not totally rate I have no problem buying a new sprocket bar and a few PMX chains if that's what it takes
What are the beam dimensions now and what are the final dimensions you need? I cut the timbers to a manageable size with my 660 then use a circular saw (14" blade) to get the width I want and cut off the live edge.

Check with Left Coast Supply. They're a site sponsor and have some products you may be interested in. Do you have a local bandmill? That would save you even more wood.

I just checked the site sponsors and cannot find Left Coast Supply anywhere I'm not real great with Tech stuff so maybe it's me, lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Dennis 066
You must be referring to a large circular saw set up specifically for cutting large barn beams(14"?) Is huge for a circular saw?

Dennis 066
You must be referring to a large circular saw set up specifically for cutting large barn beams(14"?) Is huge for a circular saw?
Makita 5402 the greatest circ saw ever!
If you are regularly working with big timbers, my will wonder how you lived without it!
Can find reasonably priced units on eBay most of the time due to a lot of people buying for a one time specific use.

But the most efficient manner would be to seek out a band mill locally, if it's a one time deal. Definitely the best kerf in town...

Dennis 066
I use my 14" generic cutoff saw with a wood cutting blade on it. I removed the cutoff saw motor from the base mount a built portable a saw mount for it similar to your normal 7 1/4 circular saw!

I use my 14" generic cutoff saw with a wood cutting blade on it. I removed the cutoff saw motor from the base mount a built portable a saw mount for it similar to your normal 7 1/4 circular saw!
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: I ordered a Makita 16"+ circular (5402) since regular was inadequate.fubar had to get refund (Amazon) found that a 10" Makita circular was available and settled for that. When needed the cut gets finished with manual saw. Bandsaw saves the most lumber from being chips. Nice find

I just checked the site sponsors and cannot find Left Coast Supply anywhere I'm not real great with Tech stuff so maybe it's me, lol

Their phone # 1-707-602-0141. Located in Willits CA. I don't have any experience with their products but have seen some good info in different milling forums. The manager seems very helpful and willing to answer any questions. I can relate to not being tech-savvy. Good thing my phone is smart!

Their phone # 1-707-602-0141. Located in Willits CA. I don't have any experience with their products but have seen some good info in different milling forums. The manager seems very helpful and willing to answer any questions. I can relate to not being tech-savvy. Good thing my phone is smart!

Look for the thread here titled "New kind of milling bar." I believe it covers much of what you're looking for.

:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: I ordered a Makita 16"+ circular (5402) since regular was inadequate.fubar had to get refund (Amazon) found that a 10" Makita circular was available and settled for that. When needed the cut gets finished with manual saw. Bandsaw saves the most lumber from being chips. Nice find
I totally agree pictures would be great! Never mastered that however, just moved on!

Look for the thread here titled "New kind of milling bar." I believe it covers much of what you're looking for.

Ordered one those bars yesterday. Only have 30" or shorter left in stock. Greg says supplier will produce these bars in May after other scheduled, so look for these to be available late May to June. At least the three longer size that are out of stock now. I should have some experience to share before the end of the month.
Stay safe & enjoy

I have used the 63PMX chain on a 066 since I got my logosol M5 mill back in 1999.

What others said here about leftcoast as far as sourcing PMX/picco/LP parts. Logosol had a monopoly on PMX chain in USA and it was $$$$!!!!! It's also hard to find 3003 mount stihl pars with picco sprocket tips. Figure on a bar, chains, and drive sprockets. Then sharpening tools if needed (5/32" files).

A short bar (16-20") will work best for resawing beams, then you could add a longer bar if you get into some bigger logs. Unless you are flat sawing/slabbing all the way through even a 20" bar will be able to square up some good sized logs. If you go with a big bar a water drip system will help with heat/wear issues.

If I was closer I'd invite you over with the beams. This would be an ideal project for a logosol mill; the resawn would be smooth and true/square. It's real easy to edge boards/slabs/cants to whatever width you'd want too.

One other thing, I'm not sure what oiler you have on the 660, but you can install a HD oiler or convert it with HD internals.

I have milled plenty of big stuff with my gradberg mill so that's my setup I'll be using I think with this smaller pico setup on the gradberg mill...

I think that a log of Saul would be probably perfect for this but I'm not going to buy a completely different jig system just to Mill these few barn beams I'm looking at the 25 in GB bar and PMX 63 chain setup

Back