Best portable saw mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw mills work great, just not great production. Good for a few timbers, great for slabs. Slow for making lots of boards. Depends on what you think you need to cut.

I have a Chinese one, just haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Always something else that needs doing. My neighbor bought a circular saw mill. I haven't seen it and don't know if he has it set up yet, but if I need anything sawed I'm sure I could work something out with him. I've just always wanted a small band saw mill but had no idea what they cost.

The problem with those swing blade saws (Logosaw ect.) is, they are limited on what they will do.

NO sawing for grade. Limited in the size lumber you can get with them, from a log. And they won't do true quartersawing of a log, all things I do fairly often with my BSM.

SR

Money no object panther does them. Personally I use cheap eBay Chinese aluminium ones, the differences between the cheapest and the most expensive are not that great. Personally if I ever could justify the upgrade I'd just buy a mobile bandsaw mill instead.
They'd come into their own if you got anything really huge to mill though, something like a valuable hardwood 5ft across that has come down could pay back that investment from just a few slabs turned into high end tables.
It depends who you are and what you do, if you can process such huge slabs etc. Such huge mills are worth putting two chainsaws on each end of a double head bar and operation with two competent chainsaw millers. Assuming you've only got all the heavy lifting equipment, training and drying space you could make a lot, most chainsaw millers just sell their slabs wet and quickly or dry them for their own use.

Back