Best Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntindog1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I searched on this site but searching on the word "chain" gets tons of other posts.

Whats your opinion on what makes a good saw chain and who out there is making the best saw chain?

Who has the best economy chain?

If you know how to find old discussions on this subject please post the links.

You don't say what wood you're cutting, what saw, what length bar? Best relates to all of those parameters.

Any major brand....

Stihl, Oregon, & Carlton all make fantastic chains. I have only used Stihl & Oregon and Stihl would be my first choice. I use 3/8" round chisel for firewood and Stihl stays sharp longer than Oregon. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to notice. The tradeoff is that Stihl takes a little more effort to file and is more expensive. But there is another viewpoint. Some folks like to touch up often for maximum cutting efficiency. If you're going that route, it's better to have a chain that's easier to file.

husky 44 16"

at one time I used the Oregon 33 and 20 50 gauge .325 chain

I have old chains that have K1 and D1 stamped on them.

A sthl dealer recently sold me a sthl chain with a 3 stamped on it. what chain is that?

It tends to catch more and uses a 3/16 file instead of the 5/32 I used on the other chains.

I use my fathers husky 455 sometimes which not sure which is best for a saw of that size.

Wood is mostly oak ash hickory.

Wanted to know about in and outs of the skip type chains.

Last edited:
Can we just make this post a primer for saw chains , everything and anything tips and tricks.

I know a little about chains and am pretty good at sharpening them by hand.

I agree the best chain is a sharp one but I was wanting to go deeper, pardon the pun, Just curious as everyones experience.

K1 is Carlton .325 .050ga. K2 is same in .058 ga, K3 is .063
The 3 on the Stihl chain means 1.3mm or .050ga.
I think the D1 is relabeled Carlton, same part/model setup as Carlton.

Stihl is the most expensive and stays sharp the longest. If stihl isn't double the price of oregon in your area then it's what I would pick. Oregon is a little softer. Carlton stuff is good and lasts good but now it's the same as oregon I don't think the quality will be as good.

Stihl chain is by far the best chain. I like it because all their gauges of chain use .063 gauge preset straps. Stihl just thins down the bottom of the drivers to .058 or .050. This keeps the chain from stretching as much as .050 oregon chain due to more surface area on the rivet. Also stihl uses Chrome on their cutters

I have gone back, and forth between Oregon, and Stihl for as long as I have been cutting. For a time Stihl was my favorite. Oregon had a new cutter design so I went to Oregon. Now running Oregon, but will run either with great results. But I agree with my friends above on the Stihl chain. Good point on the chrome therefore added cost, but you get what you pay for there. Also agree on the the sharpening side being harder metal. But overall I think Stihl chains probably last me longer. I will run either, and may have a Stihl on one of my saws right now.

Stihl and oregon are both 20 in my area. So it makes sense too buy the OE brand chain for my Stihls. The chain that cuts the fastest is the better chain IMO. In that case its a Stihl RS Yellow label.

Stihl, Oregon, & Carlton all make fantastic chains. I have only used Stihl & Oregon and Stihl would be my first choice. I use 3/8" round chisel for firewood and Stihl stays sharp longer than Oregon. Not a huge difference, but enough for me to notice. The tradeoff is that Stihl takes a little more effort to file and is more expensive. But there is another viewpoint. Some folks like to touch up often for maximum cutting efficiency. If you're going that route, it's better to have a chain that's easier to file.

+1. Like he said.

Back