Best saw oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyoming_Outback

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’ve done a bit of digging around, but haven’t found much.
So what do you guys consider the ‘best two stroke oil’? My dad and I have pretty much run Stihl HP Plus for a as long as I can remember, and hasn’t ever seen to harm the saws as far as I can tell. I have seen in some thread that people don’t consider stihl to be good for some reason? If not, what’s a good oil to switch to? Amsoil?

So what do you guys consider the ‘best two stroke oil’?

I'm curious how, exactly, you "dug around but didn't find much"???
Because that's a pretty good trick...like diving into the ocean but not being able to find any water.

oil.jpg

There are more oil threads on arboristsite than there are electrons in the known Universe.

So what do you guys consider the ‘best two stroke oil’? My dad and I have pretty much run Stihl HP Plus for a as long as I can remember, and hasn’t ever seen to harm the saws as far as I can tell. I have seen in some thread that people don’t consider stihl to be good for some reason? If not, what’s a good oil to switch to? Amsoil?
ECHO is what I use, they were one of FIRST to offer synthetic (and FIVE YEAR WARRANTY), so they believe in their oil. STIHL was synthetic 3-5-yrs later to the game. I WOULD NOT hesitate to use any name brand synthetic, but would NOT use non-synthetic, and very, very happy w/ 50:1 for any/ all despite label. OIL chemistry has shown great improvements in past few decades.

ECHO is what I use, they were one of FIRST to offer synthetic (and FIVE YEAR WARRANTY), so they believe in their oil. STIHL was synthetic 3-5-yrs later to the game. I WOULD NOT hesitate to use any name brand synthetic, but would NOT use non-synthetic, and very, very happy w/ 50:1 for any/ all despite label. OIL chemistry has shown great improvements in past few decades.
Please explain the 5 yr. warranty comment; I thought we were discussing a $5 bottle of oil to mix a gallon of fuel? Do you suggest that when a saw fails, within 5 yrs., of using a product, they will replace your equip't???

Their is no best oil BUT the worst oil i have seen and you can ask many on here with the same response is Stihl Ultra and Lucas.
I use Amsoil saber is it best? probably not but i have also used black max and super tech brand from walmart at ratios between 32:1 to 50:1 without problem.
Use what you like and you should be satisfied unless you are not.

There is no such thing as the best oil, each engine will burn the same oil differently too. RPM, load, application and tune all play a huge role in how an oil burns.

You mentioned Amsoil - You can run Saber at 16:1 at 20k rpm ported rc boat and it burns clean. If you run it at 40:1 in a leaf blower that’s humming along at 7500 rpm you may find it leaving a bit of gummy residue.

Many here run mineral oils too. A couple that I have seen pictures of at 25:1 / 32:1 looks great. I know trains runs his saws at 32:1 on the rich side of tune and rogue runs 25:1 on a sharper tune, both guys have posted multiple pictures (you can use the search bar) of their saws torn down and both are very impressive, cleaner than some synthetics. Minerals seem to be quite forgiving at the more traditional ratios.

The one thing you’ll find is that the deeper you go searching the more confused you’ll end up. It’s a deep rabbit hole if you let it become one.

if you are just using stock saw for general cutting, I think having a sharp chain, clear cooling passages, fresh fuel, and carb not set too lean/stiff diaphragms/dirty fuel filter is more important then was is the “best“ oil as most of the major brands (Stihl/echo/hq mix oil) are more than enough for most cases

It seems on this forum and others there is only one agreed-upon truth about oil for 2-strokes:

Some type of oil in the fuel is better than no oil

Other than that... good luck.
"Agreed-upon"??? C'mon, this is the internet. There's got to be some guy who will claim he's been running his saws on a mix of pump gas and molasses for years... and then somebody will say, "No, no, you can't do that! You need to use only organic honey!"

Stihl HP is made by Castrol, Stihl Ultra is made by Chicken of the Sea. As luck would have it I have used Castrol brand for over 50 years, never a problem with it in anything. Everyone has their favorite, just stick with what you know works.
Chicken of the Sea, that had me chuckling!

I believe Stihl HP in Canada is made by Castrol, here in the USA, who knows.

Please explain the 5 yr. warranty comment; I thought we were discussing a $5 bottle of oil to mix a gallon of fuel? Do you suggest that when a saw fails, within 5 yrs., of using a product, they will replace your equip't???
ECHO SAID 5-YR WHEN YOU USED THEIR OIL; EVEN WHEN STIHL finally approved synthetic, my impression was they still ONLY gave 1-year? (Not discussing details of coverage, just their ads)

ECHO SAID 5-YR WHEN YOU USED THEIR OIL; EVEN WHEN STIHL finally approved synthetic, my impression was they still ONLY gave 1-year? (Not discussing details of coverage, just their ads)
Good luck getting them to warranty anything past the first year, and that pretty much goes for any mfg, unless there is a known issue.

Latest posts

Back