Best Set Up For Small Operation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake361

Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide what the most practical, efficient set up is for my small tree business. I've been doing it 5 years and I think we're ready for our first chipper. As of right now, I'm planning on buying either a 9" disc or 12" drum chipper from bandit and a dump trailer but I'm faced with the issue of towing the chipper and trailer behind a single vehicle (2015 Chevrolet 2500). So that brings me to this question. Have any of you guys ran a train (like towing 2 trailers a once lol)? How hard is it to get around? Is it practical for a full time residential operation? I'm not too concerned with backing up and what not because I will plan my route accordingly. I've also pondered the chip box combo but I'm skeptical because very few guys seem to run that set up... Anyone know why this is and whether or not these are worth the investment? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, be safe out there!

Blake B

Tipping binned chip truck and chipper work well, get tool boxes that stay still when the bed tips, Fuso make good smaller tippers and go up to truck weights

Yeah, double towing is sketchy. You could get a used chip truck for a similar cost to a dump trailer. "Planning your route" won't work out the first time you need to back down a long driveway.

Thanks for all of the responses guys! Treebilly, I can respect and live by that statement. I got to thinking and something new came to mind. What if I was to get the 9" bandit chip/dump combo (8,000 lb total/2,500 tongue weight), Nifty Lift SP45 (9,900lb) or SP50 (11,000 lb), and a under CDL Isuzu, or roll back truck, with a 15-20' flatbed. With this set-up I could load the nifty on the 15-20' flat bed and pull the chip/dump combo behind it. I'm trying to create the ultimate set-up, which requires one vehicle, and avoids the CDL nightmare. Bucket trucks are pretty much out of the question at this point because of turf damage and backyard access. I realize that I would have to remove a section of fence, with customers approval, at times, in order to get the Nifty in the back but we do fence work as well so it runs hand in hand. Do you guys see any potential problems with this setup with regards to weight, its practicality or anything else? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Blake B

To be honest it sounds good. I'm not sure what the nifty lifts weigh though. You might be pushing the limits on the truck to load plus pull the chipper combo loaded. Could be wrong though.

Latest posts

Back