Best Speedline rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys I have been climbing for the last 15 years but have never used a speedline kit. I have done a lot of searches but many of the threads are old so thought I would post here to see what you guys recommend for a good speed line rope. I have a 5/8 bull rope and a 1/2 Samson stable braid bull rope but from what I understand they have too much stretch and need more of a static rope like Kernmantle. I already have all the biners and slings. I am in the southeast so speed lining would only be a every once in a while thing so don't necessarily want to spend a ton of money on rope but want something that is going to hold up. I only climb ddrt so was also wondering if a static rope for speed lining would also be good for climbing ddrt? I would imagine it may be unsafe to climb with a rope that you use for speed lining but figured I would ask what your opinions are on that. I currently climb on 16 strand 1/2 inch safety blue and was thinking if I could kill two birds with one stone and climb with the speed line as well but that may be a bad idea. Looking forward to your opinions, thanks for any help

use your stablebraid for now, I bought mine to speedline with
if that doesnt work for you then I believe HTP is a static line, or you can order a static climb line (xstatic, drenaline, KMiii max)

use your stablebraid for now, I bought mine to speedline with
if that doesnt work for you then I believe HTP is a static line, or you can order a static climb line (xstatic, drenaline, KMiii max)
Thanks Zin, do you find that your stable braid sags to much when speed lining? I was actually just looking at the sterling htp , man it's expensive!

Thanks Zin, do you find that your stable braid sags to much when speed lining? I was actually just looking at the sterling htp , man it's expensive!
we dont speedline anything very heavy, generally itll drag me across the yard before I notice any stretch, if its anything too heavy then put a 2:1 or 3:1 on it

Any static line would be good. I use 200 ft. 1/2 inch. Don't remember the exact brand. Sterling HTP I think. You don't want to climb on anything that has been used for rigging. Dymamic ropes will have a lot of stretch but you can get by if it's all you have. We speedline over a lot of structures and there isn't a lot of room for sag. I keep a homemade speedline kit. It has the rope, 2 mollies with about 14 slings each with biners and an ISC rigging rope wrench for the groundy to tension the line with.

Any static line would be good. I use 200 ft. 1/2 inch. Don't remember the exact brand. Sterling HTP I think. You don't want to climb on anything that has been used for rigging. Dymamic ropes will have a lot of stretch but you can get by if it's all you have. We speedline over a lot of structures and there isn't a lot of room for sag. I keep a homemade speedline kit. It has the rope, 2 mollies with about 14 slings each with biners and an ISC rigging rope wrench for the groundy to tension the line with.
Thanks benjo, I know this probably sounds like a stupid question but what is the best way to get the slings back up to the climber? Do you use a tag line to pull them back up or just pull them up with your climb line?

I pull mine up with my climb line

Keep 2 mollies, climber has 1, groundie has one, leave the mollie on the kast sling, when ot goes down then the groundie sends you the other (now loaded) mollie

Pull up with climblline. That 7/16 should be fine. With a static line you won't have to put as much pull on the tree to get the line to stay tight. You can use a back guy line if you're worrried about it.

Attachments

• 20200710_222208.jpg
    20200710_222208.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200710_222211.jpg
    20200710_222211.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200710_223614.jpg
    20200710_223614.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Nice setup benjo. I may have to make one of those as the 2 mollies that came with my carabiner set are pretty small and prolly going to be to tight to fit all the biners on there. I went ahead and ordered the 7/16 Samson static line after comparing with other ropes it was the best bang for the buck and still really strong. Now just have to improvise on tensioning the line at lower anchor point with what I already have, porty wrap, notch back bone, and prusik cord . Also have a extra dmm pinto pulley I was going to return but may be able to utilize it in this setup. As far as attachment to the tree I am removing I was just going to put a running bowline at the top unless you guys have some better options

One more thing that I am a little unsure of. I was thinking after I connect my speed line at the top of the tree I would come back down to the lower limbs, girth hitch one of my speed line slings around The spar just above the three or four limbs I plan on zipping and use this sort of as a redirect, clip the speed line in the redirect and then put all my slings that are girthed onto the branches on to the speed line. Then have the groundy tension up the speed line. Is the redirect a waste of time or do you guys think that is a good idea?

I've have done it that way before. I usually dont. Not doing it allows the ground man to help lift the limbs higher. Especially if it's hooked to a tractor or skid steer.

Back