Best Stihl saw for kids/teens

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MS170 or MS180
I agree. The MS194c will cost what 2x of the 170 cost. For someone new, the extra power in the 194 is not needed. They should not be doing tricky stuff anyhow. Everyone has to learn -- learn on a small motorcycle. Learn on a small saw. 170 is really no slouch of a saw. I have a 194c and my buddy has a 170. To be fair, his has red chain on it courtesy of me after I was convinced he would not hurt himself. But with equal chains that are equal sharp, the difference between the two is far less than you would imagine. 194 is easier to start IMHO, with the primer bulb.

For kids/teens/newbies, safe chain is a must.

I am looking for a saw that kids and teens can use. I am thinking a MS 194 c and I will be buying chaps.
Would want to steer clear of a top handle saw for beginners - things can go bad real quick with them. Even just trying to start one, its easy to lose control and if the chain break was not on.......

Agreed, rear-handled saw only. In addition to the chaps, don't forget ear, eye and, if working on standing trees, head protection.

I started my kids on a MS180. It was and is a reliable little saw the only complaint I have is the quick tensioner just sucks. I'd never had one prior and didn't know what I was getting into. I'd recommend buying a saw with a standard tensioner or convert over if you find a saw with a quick tensioner at a good price.

Wife and daughter runs MS 170s, they are dirt cheap and easy to use. The 194 is great, but a bit more expensive. MS 201 C-M is very light and nimble, but even more expensive.

The 194C and 201C are rear handled saws. Not many of them around here because the pros are looking for a top handle (TC model). I am also on the 170/180 bandwagon for a starter saw.

I started with a Mac 10-10a, then a mc pm605. but I guess a slightly smaller saw may be prudent. I always liked the ms 180c we kept in the trucks at the township. I agree with the above side finger tensioner sucks. I also have a 6" scare in my leg thats a constant reminder it doesn't matter how big the saw is it will still get you. I'd teach safty first and foremost, ppe and the proper use if it, then graduate to saw maintenance then to cutting/bucking. Leave felling for last. Keep a sharp eye on them. Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back