Best value in handheld laser hypsometer for tree height

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoShindaiwaMakitaDolmar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
For those who use handheld laser rangefinder hypsometer to measure tree height, which models do you like & what are the best values?

Thanks

I don't think a range finder /laser distance meter would be practical at all... everyone I know makes a triangle & calculates the tree height (or where the tree will "land").
This can be done fairly easily with just a stick / axe handle... no expensive equipment necessary

I've seen a few YT vids where arborists just pull a small laser RF/HS out of a pocket and have the tree height in a couple of seconds. What a time saver.

For those who use handheld laser rangefinder hypsometer to measure tree height, which models do you like & what are the best values?

Thanks
dead reckoning but that takes years to develop.
Barring that the ole stick/axe handle from extended arm to eyeball, hold stick at 90deg from the ground line up the top of stick with top of tree, if you really want to know the height measure from there, otherwise you'll be within about 6' of where the top will land, less with practicez

Its an old Boy Scouts trick, but it does work... not sure they teach that stuff in scouts anymore though... I was appalled at how few knots they teach now, or methods to build a fire...

Nikons are probably the cheapest usable models. The Laser Technology 200's are my favorites. Here's some current prices on eBay. If you aren't doing stem-mapping you don't need the "r" model, and if you don't need to auto-populate fields on a computer you don't even need the "b" model. The basic 200 is a good unit.

Latest posts

Back