Best way to connect rope from More Power Puller to winch rope ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joining two ropes end to end, and still easy to untie would call for a sheet bend. Strong, reliable, super fast and easy.
If used for life support or some really critical application, you might consider a double sheet bend, or perhaps stopper knots on the tails. I've never used a double sheet bend; it might not untie as easily as the regular version.

Note: the sheet bend is basically the same as the bowline, except with two ends and no loop. It's also the knot of choice when the ropes are of a different size.
Yes… and possibly also consider zeppelin bend….

Samson, the maker of Amsteel, recommends using a cow hitch (square knot) for joining two sections of that rope, but states that more than 15% loss of strength will occur. They also state that splicing is much preferred in all attachments.

I have found no recommendation for Amsteel & a different type of rope.

I have determined the hard way that a winch pulling at approx 2500 pounds puts
way too much pull on a 5/8" inch all nylon rope to be able to untie the alpine butterfly midline loop knot.
If I continue to use the alpine butterfly midline loop in my new 1/2" TENEX TEC rope I will have figure out how to put some spacer sticks in the knot that can be removed later to reduce and allow untying of the knot. Presently I am stuck with
two permanent midline loops in my 120 ft all nylon braid rope that I have been
practicing with. With my new rope and a snatch block and the pulley on the More Power Puller, I plan to have a 3 to 1 mechanical advantage.

Someone suggested some hardware for midline loop tie in and one was the Figure 8 Descender. You can buy them in 50 KN versions and here are two examples on Youtube

Attachments

• Figure 8 Midline Loop 50KN.jpg
    Figure 8 Midline Loop 50KN.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
I just wanted to follow up here and inform that I am super happy with and have been using a 3/4" shackle to create my mid line loop attachment to connect my metal hook from my Wythe More Power Puller to my pull rope connected to the tree. I take a loop midline and feed it into the shackle as shown in the pictures and then place the metal hook onto the metal hoop part of the shackle. The rope kind of jams in the shackle
but all I have to do is unscrew the pin and all the rope falls out. See attached pics to see how it works. I have seen three or four different rope knot techniques used but I am very happy with the shackle and if I lost my shackle I would probably do the double bowline or the artilleryman loop or the

ROSENRING CINCH Midline Loop for Snatchblock

. The added bonus I believe is that the use of a shackle instead of knots helps to preserve the condition of the rope as I think the radius of the turns and loops in the knots under stress are much more stressful than in the shackle.

Attachments

• $$DSC_9694.jpg
    $$DSC_9694.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 0
  • $$DSC_9697.jpg
    $$DSC_9697.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9742 XXY.jpg
    DSC_9742 XXY.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_9744 XXY.jpg
    DSC_9744 XXY.jpg