Best way to decend ddrt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions on the best way to decend ddrt . I'm using the hitch climber set up with a friction saver as my main TIP. Obviously I can decend just using my prussic cord but if I need to bomb out of a tree It would burn up the prussic pretty quickly. I know I can use a figure 8 but was hoping for something a little more advanced as there are so many new gadgets out these days. Is there something that I can use that would stay on my climb line all the time in case of emergency? I have a credit at tree stuff so don't mind spending some coin on something good. Been climbing for quite a while but had to take a break for quite a few years due to back problems and now there is so many new gadgets to chose from. Looking forward to your opinions, thanks in advance

If you need to bomb out of the tree, screw the prussik. And they don't burn as easily as you think
Not just for emergencys , I dropped down a spar once the tree was topped out the other day and it left some burn marks on my 10mm ocean prussic cord( wasn't decending very fast). Been using armor pruss on my positioning lanyard and it seems to hold up better so maybe that's just how the ocean cords are? If the prussic cords are okay to fast decend on, is there anything else I can add to my hitch climber setup to make it even better?

Not just for emergencys , I dropped down a spar once the tree was topped out the other day and it left some burn marks on my 10mm ocean prussic cord( wasn't decending very fast). Been using armor pruss on my positioning lanyard and it seems to hold up better so maybe that's just how the ocean cords are? If the prussic cords are okay to fast decend on, is there anything else I can add to my hitch climber setup to make it even better?
Maybe buy a Zigzag.
Jeff

Looking at getting a rope wrench for the same reason. Mostly do DRT / MRS but also could be the Segway into SRT.
Any one using a rope wrench in their DRT hitchclimber set up?

figure 8 is out?
Not saying figure 8 is out just didn't know if there was something
Looking at getting a rope wrench for the same reason. Mostly do DRT / MRS but also could be the Segway into SRT.
This was my thoughts exactly but wasn't sure if this is a good ddrt setup

Try Beeline for your cord. I bought Ocean once - it certainly glazed more than anything else I've used.

I used to keep a figure 8 for descending - too much hassle to switch. Especially if you need to "bomb out". Don't do that unless you have to...and if you have to, you don't have time to switch to the 8.

Consider mechanical:
*I use a Unicender pretty much every time I climb MRS - which is almost every time I climb. Mid-line attachment is wonderful. If you want to zip outta the quickly every time, you probably won't like it because it will wear out too quickly. I think I've had mine for 3 years and it is still going strong - but I don't often do a rapid descent - not worth the 3-5 seconds it saves.
*I really like how smooth a ZigZag is, I just miss the mid-line attachable Unicender when I use it.
*I've tried an Akimbo, and didn't love it enough to go buy one.

I don't climb SRS often, but when I do, I prefer to use the Hitchclimber and Rope wrench - I like this over the Unicender, but I'll use the Unicender sometimes to just because that is already on the harness. I wouldn't use the Ropewrench for MRS...it just adds more friction which isn't needed.

Try Beeline for your cord. I bought Ocean once - it certainly glazed more than anything else I've used.

I used to keep a figure 8 for descending - too much hassle to switch. Especially if you need to "bomb out". Don't do that unless you have to...and if you have to, you don't have time to switch to the 8.

Consider mechanical:
*I use a Unicender pretty much every time I climb MRS - which is almost every time I climb. Mid-line attachment is wonderful. If you want to zip outta the quickly every time, you probably won't like it because it will wear out too quickly. I think I've had mine for 3 years and it is still going strong - but I don't often do a rapid descent - not worth the 3-5 seconds it saves.
*I really like how smooth a ZigZag is, I just miss the mid-line attachable Unicender when I use it.
*I've tried an Akimbo, and didn't love it enough to go buy one.
ATH thank you for your replies. Would like to try a mechanical device but so many to chose from its mind boggling. Seems there is pros and cons to all of them, zig zag is great but not midline attachable, rope runner pro is big and clunky, akimbo is nice and small but a lot of mixed reviews, unicender only good for certain applications, some of the others are only for SRT so it's hard to come up with a all around versitle device. Looks like the uni is the most versatile so might buy on Amazon and try it out in the back yard, if I don't like it I may just return it. Keep waiting for someone to come up with a all around good compact device that's midline attachable, I'm sure there is something in the works with the zig zag given it's popularity but they just need to make it midline attachable. For now I guess I'll just use my ol trusty hitch climber ecentric and keep swapping out prussic cords when needed. Want to buy new climbing line also , my safety blue is getting pretty old so looking at the Samson Hawkeye or yale xtc fire, both 16 strand since I do some natural crotch climbing from time to time. Leaning towards the yale xtc since some reviews on the Samson says it can milk but the yale fire is similar in color to my speed line and like to have contrasting colors, not a deal breaker though. If anyone has any preference on these ropes that would be helpful

Hey guys just curious If you have any peice of climbing or rigging equipment that you use all the time that's really helpful to have? Something you have that you didn't know how you did without it. I have some more money to spend on my tree stuff credit so trying to find something that will be helpful. Have to place order tonight as I need some of the items in my cart for a job later this week so kinda on a time crunch. I like the Omni block on the ultra sling but think I'm going to get another ultra sling with the rigging thimble, I have the small 1/2 inch version for lite rigging and love it but only downfall is it's not midline attachable like the Omni. Look forward to any recommendations!

Safebloc on an Ultra Sling is my go to for rigging. Use it 95 percent of the time. Midline attachable doesn't mean much to me. I usually set my rigging and leave it unless I have to move it. I use the Rope Runner Pro for almost every climb. Even Ddrt. A small telescoping rope hook is invaluable.

Safebloc on an Ultra Sling is my go to for rigging. Use it 95 percent of the time. Midline attachable doesn't mean much to me. I usually set my rigging and leave it unless I have to move it. I use the Rope Runner Pro for almost every climb. Even Ddrt. A small telescoping rope hook is invaluable.
Thanks benjo, I looked pretty hard at the rope runner pro especially since it's on sale right now. How do you like it for ddrt? Did you find it to be big and clunky? It looks pretty large in the videos I've seen. I will have to look into the telescoping hook, there has been many times where it would have come in handy just wasn't sure if it was a pain to carry around on your saddle

Hey guys just curious If you have any peice of climbing or rigging equipment that you use all the time that's really helpful to have? Something you have that you didn't know how you did without it....
ART Positioner (with swivel) for the lanyard. On rare occasion a helper and I will climb at the e time and I let him use that lanyard. "Why did I ever climb like this?!?"

I like the Unicender, but it is not as big of of a jump from hitchclimber set up. Wouldn't feel like back to the stone age if I switched back.

The Pro isn't much bigger than the original if any. It is beefier. It works great for Ddrt. If I were to do an entire climb Ddrt I probably go back to the Hitch Climber setup though. It stays oriented better if you're walking around with slack in your system. I've been wanting to try the ZigZag srt. It looks to be pretty good. Zig Zag and a Rope Wrench looks like a good setup. ZigZag would probably be better than the Pro if you're going to climb Ddrt periodically

ART Positioner (with swivel) for the lanyard. On rare occasion a helper and I will climb at the e time and I let him use that lanyard. "Why did I ever climb like this?!?"

I like the Unicender, but it is not as big of of a jump from hitchclimber set up. Wouldn't feel like back to the stone age if I switched back.
I looked into those art positioners as well but not being able to release under load kinda turned me off, at least that's what some of the reviews said. I just got back into climbing since my back is doing better and got the hitch climber ecentric not to long ago. It is soooo much nicer than using a Blake's hitch with a micro pulley how I used to climb. Also just got a new tritech positioning lanyard with a pinto pulley to tend the hitch cord and like it pretty well. I have always used wirecore flip lines with rope grabs since I started long ago and love the adjustability of rope on rope under load, I guess I am going a little backwards as most seem to start with hitch cords. The wire cores are much easier to flip when spiking up a tree though. I ended up getting some yale blue moon for my new climb line so hopefully I won't regret going to 24 strand from 16 strand. Will just have to use a friction saver more often. I do have a few silky hand saws , they are awesome, just ordered new replacement blades for those today as well. One of these days I will make the switch to SRT and get a rope runner, rope wrench, or the uni, but for now I think the hitch climber will do ok. I don't have to climb everyday, I just do the technical take downs that my guys don't have the experience to do yet. Went ahead and ordered a stein mini reach tool also so I'm sure that will come in handy. Thanks for all the recommendations guys, really appreciate it 👍

I've switched to zigzag plus for drt work. The not-midline attachable is kind of a buzz kill, but not enough to have me really look at other options. It really isn't a big deal for most of the climbing I do(tall, straight conifers,) and makes descending the spar such a breeze. I also like that, once you get enough rope below you, the zigzag becomes kinda self-tending.

Back