Best Way to Get Rid of Oaks on Piece of Land?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bunions

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of clearing around 40' by 50 feet in my yard so I can put up a steel building. I live in the woods, and I have water oaks for the most part. Useless trees that die young and fall over.

I know this is an arborist site, and God bless everyone who makes a living with a chainsaw, but is there a more cost-effective way to get rid of trees? I can cut the little ones, no problem, but there are a few oaks maybe 15" in diameter, and they are tall enough to hit my house or workshop if they fall the wrong way.

The last time I priced having a sick tree felled, they wanted $800 just to put it on the ground and walk away, so I can't pay $800 over and over for a whole bunch of trees. I ended up cutting that one and hauling it off myself. Took like two hours.

My buddy keeps telling me I can find a way to make them fall toward the woods, but I keep thinking of all those "Idiots with Chainsaws" videos on Youtube.

call around...not everybody will charge $800 to drop a tree. It won't be free, but not $800 per tree. May sure they have insurance - ask to see certificate!!!

You might also call some logging contractors. They may do that on a day after a bit of rain when it is too wet to work in the woods.

I don't think they have any logging in Northern Florida. Sadly. These trees are garbage oaks, good mainly for barbecue.

I don't think they have any logging in Northern Florida. Sadly. These trees are garbage oaks, good mainly for barbecue.
Cut all you can then get three estimates to drop the remaining ones you arent comfortable with. Dont take chances hitting the bldg ,its cheaper in the long run to get good help. Some clear pics of the hard ones may help, post if you can.

Latest posts

Back