Big dust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the 10º or skip etc has that much to do with finish. Finish is determined by the operator who can easily make a "pig pen" with 10º , and/or smooth as with 25º.

10º is supposed to generate a slightly smaller kerf because the chain doesn't dive as much sideways in the cut. This takes a small amount of load off the power head. When cross cutting lots of broken fibres end up hanging in the kerf which may reduce sawdust clearance so a slightly wider cut is preferred. Milling is end grain cutting so much fewer cut fibres hang in the kerf. Even 0º could be used but its difficult to file exactly zero so some slight angle is preferred so's to not jam the chain/bar.

This shows a finish with a full comp 25º chain.
I've never been able to generate a smoother finish using any other chain
Nicefinish.jpg

It is a nice finish i will try that angle . so basically no angle will give the saw a easyer time to mill on the power heas
The only thing to reduce load on the saw is a hyper skip or semi skip .

It is a nice finish i will try that angle . so basically no angle will give the saw a easyer time to mill on the power heas
The only thing to reduce load on the saw is a hyper skip or semi skip .
10º will supposedly reduce load slightly - but I have never really been able to measure the difference. You'd need a dyno on the saw while it was cutting.

Back