big husky or big stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawcrazy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
witch is the bad boy of the big boys? stihl 088 vs husky 2120 or is that not a fair comparison ha ha? I have a problem, my 066 isn't bad enough, but that is ok the boss says I can get one more. witch one will it be?

SC,
I assume you mean 3120? You'll sure get a "six of one and half a dozen of the other" from this forum. My 3120 was pretty "bad" to begin with. Once Ken is finished with it, it will be even "badder". Why not have him mod your 066 into a killer woods saw? From what I hear, the 066 is one of the best for mods. Big difference in weight between them and your 066.

thats what I ment 3120. weight is not a prob. it will be a milling saw and one more to play with in the garage, woods and were ever I can find to make some noise.

I would say either will suit your needs to you prefer the looks of one to the other? If not then I would buy the husky cheaper price and you can buy online, which will save paying taxes (because we all know Uncle Sam will just spend it on 90$ toilet seats for the senators asses). Call JW about the 3120 ask him what he can do for you or buy one and send it to Ken Dunn and you will have one crazy powerful saw. However, they can do the same things to the 088 and you’ll have one bad ass Stihl too so really it’s which one you like aesthetically

Last edited:
I was thinking about the 395xp but now think it's to close to 066. The only reason I'm looking at husky is from all the good post on them here. Another one going to husky? Don't tell my old man.

To me this is a no brainer. For $1000(?) you can get a 3120XP. You can buy it from Walkers Saw shop and have it "Walkerized" for less than $200 and when done you will have a saw with between 10 and 11hp. Or you can take the same $1200 and buy and 088 and have 9hp. Takes two seconds to figure that one out. Not to mention the fact that a properly maintained Walkerized saw will outlive any stock saw if taken care of due to tighter tolerances and running much cooler

hey sawcrazy! i hope you leave the garage door open whe you play with the saws...i sometimes dont and when i go to get a refill i step back in and my eys start to water:angel:

I once got quite ill from doing the same thing not too long ago. I was trying to be a considerate neighbor and adjusted a carb on a saw with all garage doors and windows closed. It took me a while. When I finished I went in the house and puked. I then refused to eat the elaborate ham dinner my wife was preparing for me. She was pissed.

cant have that wife pissed - lol - the neighbours are probably pissed anyway - all the more reason to "clear the smoke out of the baffles" and let em have it, sometimes late - but hey we all need a sweet running saw and periodic checkups are the key - if it takes a "testrun" at 130am, then so be it...youll be done by the time the cops show up - trust me - lol:D

(the secret is to not keep too much wood in the yard in order not to get tied up...)

395 vs Modified 385

Hi Sawcrazy, check out the backposts, specifically any made by John W., Dennis, or Ken, regarding performance between these models. I`ll sum it up for you, but the posts are there if you want to check. Buy a 385 and have it modified by one of these gentlemen, it will smoke a stock 395, and actually has more hot rod potential. They also have a wider powerband, from what I am told, and they vibrate less. A stock 066 is purported to out perform a stock 395, and from what I understand, a modified 385 will run with an 066, maybe better. You also have the added benefit of less weight and increased longevity due to cooler running. Russ

Latest posts

Back