big saw small bar?more power?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawcrazy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if there is a sizeable amount of power differance in running a small bar (18") vs a larger 28"on a 066. I use my 28" bar for milling lumber and think once I cut down big logs to smaller slabs I can run smaller bar for more speed, or is the amount power gain not worth the the time. Thanks for any info.

Hi Crazysaw, I noticed youare from Wash. State, so you are better off with the longest bar that can be had, but you you should get Rotax Robert ( also from Wash.), to get you a 3 pin sprocket to drive the longer chain. This way, 48" bars and longer can be driven by 026's.
Here in the not so Wild East, 16" bars and 7 pin gears rule regardless of powerhead size.
Gyro

Howdy,

Yep, the shorter the bar, the less total friction and inertia in the system. On very large, high torgue saws this is somewhat academic. On small saws it is a very notable difference. Smaller pitch chain vs. larger pitch chain has the same effect. (It is not the number of joints that count, it is the total mass of the system).

Regards,
Walt Galer

i really notice a difference when i put a 20" bar on my sxl-925 homelite compared to the 34 that i i normally run on it. when i slap the 20 on it the thing is unstoppable. i like it

same thing, I usually run an 18" bar on my 046 and when i put my 36" bar on it wow does it ever feel heavy and slower.

My SXL-925 came with a 24" sprocket tip bar. I haven't tried a different one, but it sounds like 34" might be pushing it.

Latest posts

Back