Bigger Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZAquaman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
These days I'm finding myself occasionally wanting a bigger saw. I recently acquired some property that has 30" plus fir and cedar I have to deal with from time to time.

My go to saw has been the 460 Rancher. It's my medium size saw. I'm not doing production work and it suits my needs just fine.

I bought my little saw last year and have been quite happy with it. The Husqvarna 545 is a little ripper and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a small saw.

I've been happy with the Husqvarna saws and would prefer to stay brand loyal but I'm open to all suggestions.

What are suggestions for a bigger saw... occasional use... farm type application?

20210904_192111.jpg

Time for a 70 or 90 cc saw. For the 70cc saws. Husqy 372xp, stihl ms462cm, husqy 572xp for 70cc saws. They will all pull a 32" bar with full skip chain in soft woods. Not necessarily the fastest, but they will get it done. More at home with a slightly smaller bar. 24-28".
90cc saws either a husqy 390xp or a stihl ms661cm. Actually it would really just be the 390xp in my mind, I have a decent bit of trigger time between the 390xp and 660. I'll grab the 390xp every time. Better av, air filtration, and a smoother saw to run. Pulls a 32" bar like it's not there. Run a 36" on mine it does quite well.

The 460 ranchers seem to get a lot of hate, but mine has been a great saw. I muffler modded it with a chuck of 12 guage shotgun barrel, and run it with a 24" bar.

My all time favorite saw is the 372XP. And as bad As I hate to admit it, I have 2 of the Holzfforma 372 clones and both have been 100% problem free. I cut over 20 cords of wood with one of those this summer, the other is nearly new.

If you like the 460 you'll like the 575xp and 576xp saws. Bump in displacement and oiling to run bigger bars but still useable day to day with a 24" or a 20". Very smooth antivibe and predictable and torquey like the 460 but more juice everywhere you need it. They are strato design like the 460.

372xp are wild high revving animals that are not rookie machines, non strato engine. Peaky power curve.

I traded a basket of 3 parts 372 saws for a running 576xp and the guy built a monster saw out of those parts but missed how smooth and predictable the 576 was and later tried to buy it back. Sorry.

Turned my 460 into a loaner saw.

I also have a 385xp but it's significantly heavier, I don't like it as much and it only comes out when I'm dealing with lots of big stuff that needs to lay on the ground, or already is or noodling.

If you like the 460 you'll like the 575xp and 576xp saws. Bump in displacement and oiling to run bigger bars but still useable day to day with a 24" or a 20". Very smooth antivibe and predictable and torquey like the 460 but more juice everywhere you need it. They are strato design like the 460.

372xp are wild high revving animals that are not rookie machines, non strato engine. Peaky power curve.

I traded a basket of 3 parts 372 saws for a running 576xp and the guy built a monster saw out of those parts but missed how smooth and predictable the 576 was and later tried to buy it back. Sorry.

Turned my 460 into a loaner saw.

I also have a 385xp but it's significantly heavier, I don't like it as much and it only comes out when I'm dealing with lots of big stuff that needs to lay on the ground, or already is or noodling.
You can get the 372 x-Torq which is a strato saw. I have one. Not as high revving as the old school, but still a good saw, but feels “sluggish” if you are used to the old school.

Have heard good and bad things about it- but if I were back doing what I was doing in the 1990's and looking for a new saw to do it- I would be spending my money on a 592.
I was young and fit back then, powerhead weight was not an issue- but the power that came with that weight was.

What are suggestions for a bigger saw... occasional use... farm type application?

I would say the holzfforma 660, Ive had mine for awhile now and it's been a fantastic saw and just as good as the stihl's I've owned. Now if you were going to use it everyday all day long I would say get a real stihl but for farm use or heating your house the knock off is what I would recommend.

The biggest thing with knock-off saws tho is you need to know how to work on them because they might be 100% or they might not run but either way I wouldn't expect any customer support.

931d9ad2929ec0e3__50011.1655514506.jpg

The saws that I run with 30+ plus bars , MS660, 394xp, BB MS441, McCulloch Super pro 80, Homelite Super 1050A, clone Stihl 090, Remington super 754.
Obviously it depends on your comfort level with a saw, but I run the gambit from 60s to current saw makes .
The 394xp Husqvarna I purchased used and it has been a great saw to run and very reliable. The Ms660 has fantastic parts availability and runs very strong. Those 2 are my go to for 30+ .
I also have an 088 Stihl but really only run 40+ bars on that.

I would say the holzfforma 660, Ive had mine for awhile now and it's been a fantastic saw and just as good as the stihl's I've owned. Now if you were going to use it everyday all day long I would say get a real stihl but for farm use or heating your house the knock off is what I would recommend.

The biggest thing with knock-off saws tho is you need to know how to work on them because they might be 100% or they might not run but either way I wouldn't expect any customer support.

931d9ad2929ec0e3__50011.1655514506.jpg

Or go the whole hog and get the G888!Screenshot_20221021-105818_kindlephoto-2797973951.png

Not much reason for 99% of people to get any saw bigger than a 70-75cc. A pair of good working 70cc saws is a far better investment than 90-120cc that will rarely be used.

Be real with exspections and needs from a saw do not let these Ass Clowns waist your money.

70cc 28" will work everywhere up to 40" trees.

Now if all your trees are 40" plus a 90cc with a 42" bar might be Handy but for most peoples reality it ends up being a shelf queen if theyre being honest with themselves and ASS

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I like to buck from a standing position. I'm 6'2" so longer bar is comfortable for me. 24" bar seems to be about the minimum bar length for me. Anyway, I'm thinking at least a 30-32" bar would be nice. I ran a few gas tanks with friend's MS660 long ago and really enjoyed the power of it.

I'm concerned that a 70cc saw won't be the step up power wise I'm looking for over my 60cc Rancher. I could be wrong about that as I know the Rancher isn't a peak performing 60cc saw.

So... 372xp vs 390xp? Dutchman, I'm not seeing the 575-6xp saws you suggested on Husqvarna product site. Great to have options! But it's difficult to find a Goldilocks HA!

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I like to buck from a standing position. I'm 6'2" so longer bar is comfortable for me. 24" bar seems to be about the minimum bar length for me. Anyway, I'm thinking at least a 30-32" bar would be nice. I ran a few gas tanks with friend's MS660 long ago and really enjoyed the power of it.

I'm concerned that a 70cc saw won't be the step up power wise I'm looking for over my 60cc Rancher. I could be wrong about that as I know the Rancher isn't a peak performing 60cc saw.

So... 372xp vs 390xp? Dutchman, I'm not seeing the 575-6xp saws you suggested on Husqvarna product site. Great to have options! But it's difficult to find a Goldilocks HA!
No offence the 460 is an OK saw, the 372xp is a light Saber in comparison, and the 390xp is the same to the 372xp in larger wood.
And the 575/6 has been out of production for a while replaced by the less problematic 572xp.
I personally run the 60 then jump to 90cc saws, well the ms400 came into play this spring but it's an in-between saw. Weight of a 60 nearly the power of a 70cc.

Back