Bigger Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

I like to buck from a standing position. I'm 6'2" so longer bar is comfortable for me. 24" bar seems to be about the minimum bar length for me. Anyway, I'm thinking at least a 30-32" bar would be nice. I ran a few gas tanks with friend's MS660 long ago and really enjoyed the power of it.

I'm concerned that a 70cc saw won't be the step up power wise I'm looking for over my 60cc Rancher. I could be wrong about that as I know the Rancher isn't a peak performing 60cc saw.

So... 372xp vs 390xp? Dutchman, I'm not seeing the 575-6xp saws you suggested on Husqvarna product site. Great to have options! But it's difficult to find a Goldilocks HA!
A 372xp will pull a big bar, my dad always ran 36” bars on his. Of course, I’d you get into the world of porting you can really make that 372 a monster.

More then likely the 372 listed on their site is a X-torq

I would say the holzfforma 660, Ive had mine for awhile now and it's been a fantastic saw and just as good as the stihl's I've owned. Now if you were going to use it everyday all day long I would say get a real stihl but for farm use or heating your house the knock off is what I would recommend.

The biggest thing with knock-off saws tho is you need to know how to work on them because they might be 100% or they might not run but either way I wouldn't expect any customer support.

931d9ad2929ec0e3__50011.1655514506.jpg
I bought a neotec 660 clone from a guy I think is on here, I know he is on Facebook he has great prices 2strokin and small engines something like that

The 460 rancher is toy in comparison.
Really the saw makees should quit making other smaller saws.

The tree guys need a small top handle a 70cc and a big saw for big trees over 4ft.

My 372 has been running a 32" lately I also run a 28" but the difference isnt much so the 32" us drug most the time.

I have been thinking about a light bar and am torn between 28 or 32. Yes itl be stihl light bar.
20221016_105646.jpg20221016_103000.jpg
20221008_115411.jpg
Last pic is the 28" its also stihl bar ive had for 8 or 10 years. Ran it on 044 440s 460 and few 066s and a couple 372s
Ive had a couple 084s and never hsd a bar long enough to make that size saw worth while.
Have done a handfull of big trees with 066 bucking well passed the 32" tip. There a 42" might be usefull but myswell use 70" like ive settled on 28-32" for All around felling limb work and bucking

Also dont think you need to limit your self to orange saws any color 70cc with a sharp chain will be a dream to run compared the the husky rancher.

Your tag says As supporting member so yes. Dammit I wonder what mine says

If I had a spare 1500 bucks im not sure if id buy a 462 or 500i

I will say these things are sexy when done up with Max flows and cover. Stock theyre horrid looking

ClutchCoverWebsiteHeaderImage_900x.jpg
But we dont buy them to look at right ? ;)

I agree with that having owned both.
I do prefer the stihl 3/4 wrap while dragging saw around the mtn

Thanks guys, I'll have to go handle a few saws to see what feels good.

The majority of my time in the woods has been in Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Western Washington wood gets big fast! The neighbor had a tree taken out. The tree service was happy to let me buck it up and take it home for firewood. This tree was only 40 years old by ring count. The base of the tree was approaching 30". Most of the trees on my new piece of property are probably 50-90 years old with a few old timers in the mix.

If anyone wants to suggest a good saw shop in the South Seattle Tacoma area I would be thankful. I prefer to support small town business whenever possible.

Thanks again for the friendly input. I've really enjoyed lurking on this website over the years. Lots of great information here!

20221021_090834.jpg
whene

Where at in idaho were you?
Im in the boise area

If anyone wants to suggest a good saw shop in the South Seattle Tacoma area I would be thankful. I prefer to support small town business whenever possible.
worth it to drive to Chehalis. Service Saw or Madsen's.

The 460 rancher is toy in comparison.
Really the saw makees should quit making other smaller saws.

The tree guys need a small top handle a 70cc and a big saw for big trees over 4ft.

My 372 has been running a 32" lately I also run a 28" but the difference isnt much so the 32" us drug most the time.

I have been thinking about a light bar and am torn between 28 or 32. Yes itl be stihl light bar.
View attachment 1026139View attachment 1026140
View attachment 1026141
Last pic is the 28" its also stihl bar ive had for 8 or 10 years. Ran it on 044 440s 460 and few 066s and a couple 372s
Ive had a couple 084s and never hsd a bar long enough to make that size saw worth while.
Have done a handfull of big trees with 066 bucking well passed the 32" tip. There a 42" might be usefull but myswell use 70" like ive settled on 28-32" for All around felling limb work and bucking

Also dont think you need to limit your self to orange saws any color 70cc with a sharp chain will be a dream to run compared the the husky rancher.

Why 32-28 bar for such a small pine tree?

One can easilly fell it with 15-18 inch bar....and with 50ccm saw...

Or is that just American way of logging? :D

Idk just cuzz I lived through the 60cc is was the do all all around saw. Boy was I wrong its 25/28 70cc and skip the limbing saw all together

Why 32-28 bar for such a small pine tree?

One can easilly fell it with 15-18 inch bar....and with 50ccm saw...

Or is that just American way of logging? :D
A yugo or ford fiesta will get you around, but its a much better journey in a Cadillac or Chrysler.

I would pick Yugo (or Fiesta) over (50s 60s) Cadillac anytime.....much more fun.

Try this with your Cadillac....and you will become dead meat :D

Actually I saw one 2 days ago in a minth condition....and it was one of those "WOW" moments :D A blast from the past (my youth).....they become rarity these days....and their prices are pretty high!

Back