Black Friday 545 MK II. 40 year changeover from pro mac 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anothernewb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, a long time ago I posted here about looking for a replacement for my old Pro mac 10-10, was my dads until he passed. As it was really getting worn down after over 40 years of use. I grew up with wood heat, Oak. always white or red oak. I cannot count the number of oak trees that thing has cut. I may have kicked the can down the road a little too long to work on the worn parts. The last time I fired it up - to help a buddy whom a suitably epic large white oak fell on his house in a storm. was it's last, albeit well earned gasp. I am now in the process of looking for parts/labor to restore it to like new if possible - just for memories sake. for sure it'll need a new gas tank/fuel line, oiler assy, and the entire side case which contains the tensioner. Not sure what happened, but the case cover that contains it broke apart under full load and did some additional damage as the chain wrapped up pretty hard bringing the saw to a near instant halt. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if I bent the crank or damaged the connecting rod. Still spins though. cant start it in it's present condition.

But to the point of the post. Thanks to a black friday deal, and a buddy whose kid works at the store- I picked up a husky 545 Mk II for under $350 NIB.

It's a little smaller and significantly lighter than old yeller there. but power spec wise I think it might be close the old mac? I never ran more than a 16" bar on that one though. this has a 20. Bought it before I really read too much about the electronic carb and such. Know small engines well enough, but about all I know about saws these days is there's a stihl camp (one of my buddies - 362 or nothing according to him) or a husky camp. There was never any reason to look at chainsaws before. the mac just ran and ran. wasn't picky about gas, didn't care about mix between 40-50:1, or temp. just choke, pull 2x. full throttle, pull. starts every time. even if it's been sitting for months. (although I only ever ran non-oxy gas)

Haven't been able to find much real world use of this husky model. lots of sales reviews, and complaints about the computer controlled carb and getting is properly set up. but that's it. Now I'm looking at the box wondering if I made a good call, or if I should have waited and stuck to a old fashioned standard carb. couldn't beat the price though.

For reference - these days - aside from cleanup work, or an emergency. it's just occasional firewood for the fire pit. a cord a year is probably my real use. When given an option I always try to find oak. but i'll cut anything that's "free" to stack up.

That's a killer deal on a new 545. I would buy one for that and I don't even need it. I have an older 545. 2016 or 17. It takes quite a few pulls to start it if it's been sitting all summer. It runs great and is very smooth. It starts easily if started on a regular basis and warm restarts just require a little tug of the rope. I'm quite certain you will enjoy it very much.

Back