Black hills spruce question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinthewind

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This spruce is near the end of its second year. I noticed the needle around the bottom third of the tree are starting to turn brown and yellow. Not sure if it can be saved but the other trees around it appear to be healthy. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 05B340F1-8DBE-4E6F-903E-0EEC081A1D41.jpeg
    05B340F1-8DBE-4E6F-903E-0EEC081A1D41.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • E764411D-7FC7-4C99-9518-ECADBF3A819A.jpeg
    E764411D-7FC7-4C99-9518-ECADBF3A819A.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 079FD6B1-1FF2-46FD-A1EA-C19679A9EC28.jpeg
    079FD6B1-1FF2-46FD-A1EA-C19679A9EC28.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 7F2079EC-F666-4D13-801E-1FB9C0A9A9A8.jpeg
    7F2079EC-F666-4D13-801E-1FB9C0A9A9A8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
I agree on the potential for mites. Your tree is probably still experiencing transplant shock and could still be adjusting.

Best way to determine for sure is to send a sample to your local university extension office. I send stuff all the time to penn state.

image.jpg
It looks like the yellowing has stopped as it has not spread to the remainder of the tree. Hopefully it is still just adjusting to transplant as the top appears to be very healthy. I did have been applying one fertilizer stake a year in the spring. As you can see the ends of the branches seem healthier/fuller/greener. Crossing my fingers it stays healthy through spring. I do know this company planed wrapped and with the wire basket attached. City put them in so there was nothing I could do. image.jpgimage.jpg

It looks like the yellowing has stopped as it has not spread to the remainder of the tree. Hopefully it is still just adjusting to transplant as the top appears to be very healthy. I did have been applying one fertilizer stake a year in the spring. As you can see the ends of the branches seem healthier/fuller/greener. Crossing my fingers it stays healthy through spring. I do know this company planed wrapped and with the wire basket attached. City put them in so there was nothing I could do.
get down there and make sure there is nothing wrapped around the trunk. When they wrap those B&B trees there is always a strong wrapped around the trunk. That should be a natural material that will break down, but I've see synthetic material several times and it will kill the tree.

get down there and make sure there is nothing wrapped around the trunk. When they wrap those B&B trees there is always a strong wrapped around the trunk. That should be a natural material that will break down, but I've see synthetic material several times and it will kill the tree.
I mean they planted about 100 of them the same way… if they planted with synthetic they will have a lot of people knocking on their door. But yes there is burlap near the base of the trunk. It does seem to be weakened or deteriorating. I did send in a sample to the Local university to see if it is some type of disease.

Yes...but a LOT of places plant with everything left on. At a bare minimum, the top around the trunk needs to be removed to confirm planting depth is correct. If there is burlap left on the trunks, they did it wrong. Plenty of arguments about taking or leaving the rest of the burlap and cage.

Having said that...they may have done nothing wrong if it is a "typical" contract that didn't specify a standard.

Yes...but a LOT of places plant with everything left on. At a bare minimum, the top around the trunk needs to be removed to confirm planting depth is correct. If there is burlap left on the trunks, they did it wrong. Plenty of arguments about taking or leaving the rest of the burlap and cage.

Having said that...they may have done nothing wrong if it is a "typical" contract that didn't specify a standard.

Stigmina Needle Cast was identified by the university, just read the email… I will be removing the bad branches and replacing mulch under the tree to rid the old infected needles. I will also spray chlorothalonil a few times this fall and next spring.
Any other ideas? I do have a sprinkler close to that area but it only lightly grazes that section of the tree and it gets really good airflow so I’m very surprised how sensitive this particular tree was to that disease.

Stigmina and Rhizosphaera are extremely common on Blue spruce - but also others. Picea glauca is the second-most common species I see it in. Almost never in Norway spruce.

Historically, more Rhizosphaera, but we probably are calling some Stigmina "Rhizosphaera" because that is what we are used to seeing.

Either way, treatment is the same. Annual fungicide and maintain tree health. I don't know that I would remove the mulch. Lot of effort for little gain.

Stigmina and Rhizosphaera are extremely common on Blue spruce - but also others. Picea glauca is the second-most common species I see it in. Almost never in Norway spruce.

Historically, more Rhizosphaera, but we probably are calling some Stigmina "Rhizosphaera" because that is what we are used to seeing.

Either way, treatment is the same. Annual fungicide and maintain tree health. I don't know that I would remove the mulch. Lot of effort for little gain.

Got it. So anti fungal remove dead and impacted branches.
You think I should apply a treatment now in the fall and how often?

I removed the mulch and added a new layer because I read the spores and fungus can live under the tree on the dead needles and wind can blow it upwards to infect new branches.

Back