Black oak being eaten by grasshoppers???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be a pretty big lean twords just remove it, but we don't even know what the canopy looks like nor do we really know what percentage of decay there actually is. Yes there is an obvious crack but it looks like it has a lot of meat on the bone still we can't see in. Why has installing say 3 rods not been mentioned? Yes very invasive to the tree but so is a flush cut....
Now I may not be a certified tree risk guy but I do know you can't make a diagnosis without seeing the entire situation... what targets are there?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The OP mentioned 1/2" split all the way through the trunk, so I dunno about this meat on the bone ambiguity.
installing brace rods (that are gonna compromise compartmentalization boundaries) as a long term solution seems kinda iffy in this scenario...you gonna guarantee this work?

The OP mentioned 1/2" split all the way through the trunk, so I dunno about this meat on the bone ambiguity.
installing brace rods (that are gonna compromise compartmentalization boundaries) as a long term solution seems kinda iffy in this scenario...you gonna guarantee this work?
Yeah the customers are asking me to remove it possibly over the winter or in the spring. accoeding to the homeowner it's been cracked for a few years and hasn't paid too much mind to it until I showed him how bad it actually was.

Do you offer a guarantee in any of your work? We don't offer any for any aspect of our work, we are doctors for the trees not an auto parts store... When was the last time you got a guarantee from your dr? Hell I had lasik a few months ago and you had to sign something saying you could possibly die, all this for a 3 min procedure that u are awake for....

We rod trees very often we cable them even more often. We have clients that really want to save there trees at all cost. We come up with a trimming and weight reduction plan then if more security is desired we cable if even more security is asked for we rod (if split) Now I'm in an area that people want the big mature trees saved. if you have people that don't care then by all means just offer a removal estimate.

It's about risk, I assume none! That is why we provide the homeowner all our findings and what we can and cannot do and then we let them decide if the risk of having a tree that is held together by steel is worth it to them. 90 percent of our clients trim and cable/rod to try to save vs just remove. So far I have not been back to remove or estimate removal of anything we have put steel in. Homeowners insurance still covers failure of cabled trees and many people are ok with taking the chance.

I'm not saying everything can be saved but a lot can

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Appreciate your reply, no tree to(o) big.
Different strokes for different folks; 99.9% of my clients have already decided they want their tree(s) zapped before they even call me for a quotation.
I give them a price, and remove said tree. And it ends there. Closure. They can transplant another one or put a hot tub where the stump was; it really doesn't matter now, does it.
Saving them, or at least prolonging their existence must be a rewarding endeavor. Kudos to you.
but if you were a plastic surgeon, would you give an octogenarian a facelift? I think you would, and it is an ethical situation that I would not be comfortable being in. Like a lawyer defending a guy he absolutely knows is a scoundrel.

Folks here are pretty quick to jump on to the "have to remove NOW" bandwagon. My guess is they do the same with everything else in life:
Car need new tires - crush it and buy a new one.
Roof leaking on the house - torch it.
Too unsafe to drive in traffic - stay home.

etc....

I a proper assessment is performed, and the tree is deemed to present a level of risk that is acceotable to them, what else can be done to the tree to improve health and extend lifespan?

We still havent heard what decay pathogens are at play near the crack,how the root flair and root system are doing.
Wound wood reaction seems pretty good in a couple of pics so this tree may not need to come down soon.

Back