Black Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newfie_1986

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I am wondering how hard black spruce would be on a bandmill blade. I plan to mill up balsam fir mainly but have a place where I can cut a lot of nice black spruce as well. Black spruce takes the life out of a saw chain a fair bit faster than Balsam fir so I suppose it would do the same to a bandmill blade ?

How much black spruce would you figure I could cut with a bandmill before needing to re sharpen ?

Thanks

never had the pleasure of milling black spruce, but if its anything like the spruce down here in PA, its still a lot easier on saw blades than most hardwoods.

I sawed a few blk spruce, i made the loft on my barn out of it. Very strong, and i thought it sawed out just fine.

Wish i had a bunch of it!!

Rob

Well my parents have some property out of town and out that way there is a lot of black spruce that I can saw down and mill up, so I have lots of it on hand if I want it. By the looks of things its just as well for me to go crazy sawing it !

Thanks

Back