Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayman455

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! This is my first post and I hope this is the best section for it. I’m cutting two black walnuts down over the next few days and I want to sell the logs from them. The mills near me want me to bring the logs to them before even mentioning an estimated price range. So I figured I would try posting here and seeing if anyone would be interested or have some suggestions on selling them. One BW is about 40’ straight trunk without limbs and 26” DBH. It has about 3 tiny knots along the 40’ span. The canopy is very spread but I was considering keeping the canopy. Second BW is very similar. I’m in the upstate of SC, USA.
Thanks for any help!

Hey there everyone! This is my first post and I hope this is the best section for it. I’m cutting two black walnuts down over the next few days and I want to sell the logs from them. The mills near me want me to bring the logs to them before even mentioning an estimated price range. So I figured I would try posting here and seeing if anyone would be interested or have some suggestions on selling them. One BW is about 40’ straight trunk without limbs and 26” DBH. It has about 3 tiny knots along the 40’ span. The canopy is very spread but I was considering keeping the canopy. Second BW is very similar. I’m in the upstate of SC, USA.
Thanks for any help!
Back in 1993 my tree work mentor a certified Florida forester and member of NAA now TCIA taught me about BW logs for mills. You must get a 9volt Lumber Wizard to scan the trunks for metal objects. Any metal found must be removed but then that might destroy the wood for consist as a veneer. Then tag them to verify this has been done. The market flucuates for walnut and other hardwood species. If the trunks are clean and have very few cat faces you might get money for them. IMHO the time and expense required to connect and sell the wood is too much. I don’t know where veneer sawmills are operating these days. Good luck.

Thanks for any help!
Do a search for a gunstock mfg in your general area. Like this one: https://www.macongunstocks.com/ and https://calicohardwoods.com/
they are in MO and CA but I’d bet there is a closer outfit To you.
The large ones have flatbeds and loaders that travel long distance for good logs.

When selling small quantities of BW I fell & limb them but do not cut to log length. Then I let a couple buyers know they're ready to be scaled. They'll stop by when they're passing through, give me a price & mark the cuts for saw logs. I then cut them to log length, load them, and deliver to the successful buyer..

Thanks for any help!
I know there's another site/group search up "forestryforum" on the net that has a lot of members that actively participate in the milling forum scene that may have more activity. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks for any help!
brother and I hauled 19' log of that size, they bought the inner 12' as a veneer log at $6per board foot, about $1600. I would get bids after it is on the ground and before you section it.

Actually they're not worth much at all. $20 or so each.
But just to save you the hassle of dealing with them, I'll come and pick them up and give you $30 each.
I'm such a generous guy.

Address?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :dancing: :dancing:
Maybe you can work a deal on his membership dues. :innocent:

Ask the mills how long they want the logs to be, cut them to that length and bring them in. How many different mills have you talked to?
Walnut can be more complicated than just cutting to length, we cut the middle 12' out of a 20' once because it was veneer grade, gave away the top and bottom probably.

Walnut can be more complicated than just cutting to length, we cut the middle 12' out of a 20' once because it was veneer grade, gave away the top and bottom probably.
Certainly, but the mill has told him they're not interested unless the logs are sitting on a trailer in front of them at the mill, (which is normal in a situation like this) so he doesn't have a lot of choice. Obviously the OP should be smart about where he cuts the logs..

Certainly, but the mill has told him they're not interested unless the logs are sitting on a trailer in front of them at the mill, (which is normal in a situation like this) so he doesn't have a lot of choice. Obviously the OP should be smart about where he cuts the logs..
we took ours in full length and let them pick where they wanted it cut. Buyer stopped by my buddies woods and showed him where he wanted them cut. Depends how bad they want them.

we took ours in full length and let them pick where they wanted it cut. Buyer stopped by my buddies woods and showed him where he wanted them cut. Depends how bad they want them.
Right. The OP said that the mill wasn't interested in coming to look at the logs, so clearly they don't want them that badly. They told him he needed to bring the logs to the mill. Given the general tone of the OP's post, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it isn't likely that he has the capability to bring them tree lengths. Actually, he hasn't said if he even has the capability to bring them any logs at all, of any length.

Right. The OP said that the mill wasn't interested in coming to look at the logs, so clearly they don't want them that badly. They told him he needed to bring the logs to the mill. Given the general tone of the OP's post, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it isn't likely that he has the capability to bring them tree lengths. Actually, he hasn't said if he even has the capability to bring them any logs at all, of any length.
Sorry for taking so long to reply, spent the day Wednesday cutting the walnuts down and removing them from the site. So yes in the past transportation of anything over 8ft, I would have to call in a favor or two but with firewood and posts, I’ve been able to manage with 8ft on all the logs I haul off. Even sold some at 8ft for boards. But because of the chance to cut black walnut, I bought a 13ft trailer Friday and immediately started modifying it with a log arch, a winch etc. So now I can manage 12.5’ logs. Today I hauled out a nice 12.5’ log with no knots and 20” diameter the whole length. Then another 12.5’ log with one or two knots and 20” diameter down to 16” on the other end. Then some various crotches off the tree that I figured I would save for my own use or something in the shed. The rain will probably stop me from cutting again until Monday but I’ve got 5 more to cut that are the same size or bigger. Also thanks everyone for the help. Any tips are very appreciated.

Also, there’s only 3 mills around me and they all have odd business hours. One of the mills main focus is logging crews so their sawmill isn’t actually their main income. So I understand their lack of haste to buy logs in small amounts. But he’s actually the easiest to do business with.

Back